• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Would What you charge vary? By how much?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

dribblesnort

When I sell parts & stuff I noticed the price I charge tends to vary based on who I'm selling to so I thought it'd be nice to see who else does this and by how much the price may vary

DISCLAIMER: I am not interested in selling this computer to anyone in the forum. Just asking opinions on what you would charge for a computer with the following specifications to the following different types of people:

1. A good, close friend.
2. A Co-Worker "type" person you generally get along with
3. A Co-Worker type you don't necessarily much like,
3. A complete Stranger

Specifications: (All components listed are less than 10 months old except for video cards)
Case: Thermaltake Armor VA 8003
PSU: Gigabyte Odin 800w PSU
CPU: Q6700 G0
Mobo: eVGA CK-132(?) 780i
RAM: 4GB Matched SLI DDR-1066
(2) 8800GTS640 in SLI
Optical: LiteOn DVD+- RW Dual Layer +Lightscribe
HDD: (2) Seagate SATA (300GB + 400GB)
Cooling: Swiftech MCP350 + Apogee GT +120mm external Rad blah, blah

I normally would go to a place like Dell's outlet where they sell the refurbs and spec out a system as close to this as I could get and then minus a set % of that since mine is not a new computer, but add a set% back onto the price because I generally uses higher quality components in my builds.

From there comes my "stranger" price and I deduct a bit based more on things like how are they financially? Are they a good friend? and so on before I arrive at a "final" price.

Using the above specs as an example, I configured a system at Dell Outlet and saw they were charging $1400.

I generally knock off anywhere from 35%-40% because the equipment is "used".

That would take the price to about $840

Now let's assume for the moment that these are all top of the line parts. I'm pretty sure that I'd have spent close to 18%-20% more than that $1400 I mentioned earlier because I'd have bought better quality parts, paid tax for some parts, and S/H for some parts.

Add 20% back and I arrive at a little bit over $1000.

From here is where I tend to vary the price a bit more based on the person I'm selling to.

How do you guys & gals figure out your prices? and do you vary them based on who is buying? If so, how much do you vary?

yea i would do a difference in price depending on who im selling to.. i help out my mom's friend at work, gave her a X2 system. i had spare parts to buildt and well i did some work for a guy. he gave me the X2 with hsf +board for the work, i would never use the setup. didnt think it was worth much so yea, i gave it to her.

I base prices on what the going rate is said used stuff.

Cant say "knock off 40% since its used" because some things are in high demand some are not. For instance 4GB kits of ram (as in 2x 2gb sticks) almost no drop in price over new because thats what everyone wants now. And used does not make a differnce on this product since almost all ram is lifetime warranty.

2x1GB kits of ram are selling used for 1/3 their current new price, because, people want 4GB kits.

For me it's fairly simple on parts.

Family close friend, sell at cost.

Co-worker type/person I don't like/stranger, cost + 20% The 20% is for my time to find parts for people who will not do it on their own.

Now when it comes to labor; Close friends/family, free if they don't abuse me with the free service.

Co-workers that I like or people who are genuine with me, I'll cut time off the bill here and there. All others pay $60/hr. For any of these people, I never charge less than half an hour if it was real simple to fix. I needs to be paid for gas and time away from my family.

I have co-workers who give service away for free but people will not stop calling them ALL OF THE TIME and it really ****es them off. They have since stopped doing that and send all comers my way instead. When people don't pay, they think nothing of having you do every little thing.

Back