• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Good oil to relube fans

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

nd4spdbh2

MK heres the situation... i have a server thats on 24/7 and while the fans are not anywhere near worn out id figure while i had the server apart i would relube the fans...

Now what oil should i use... i have multiple oils and grease at my disposal... but would probably want to stay away from grease as its viscosity is high.

I have standard 3-in-1 oil, Marvels Mystery oil, Break free and others but thoes are the main ones i use on a regular basis... The reason i ask what oil to use is i dont want the oil to destroy the plastic of the fan.... so what shall i use!????

Pretty sure you are not supposed to use oil of any kind as it breaks down plastic.

Silicone greae is what is recommended. But I learned that real young and it could be no longer the case.

I've seen standard 3 in 1 oil recommended before, if you've got it handy I'd go with that.

I would not recommend break free, as it sounds similar to wd40 which isn't good for this sort of thing.

A good question, lots of people think wd40 or something would work fine, but really its not a great idea to use on a part that constantly moves - its much better for hinges or other items which only move occasionally.

Check out this thread also, and pay special attention to roadwarriors comments as they are very insightful:
http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=117621

i also have a plethora of gun oils... but will probably use a drop of marvels ... can use that stuff on everything haha. i do have some pretty nice silicone grease that i use on rc car shocks...

This was discussed in these forums years and years ago. Rem oil was found to be one of the best. 3-in-1 works but can break down the plastic parts and metal windings over time. WD40 is somewhat conductive.

I have used Zebco reel oil before which I believe is actually just 3-in-1 oil in a clear tube. Just used it because it was handy and was easy to get into small places with the oil.

Unless it's an expensive or hard to find propriety fan, I wouldn't bother re-lubing them. Just replace them when it shows sign of failing.

Unless it's an expensive or hard to find propriety fan, I wouldn't bother re-lubing them. Just replace them when it shows sign of failing.

eh first off im cheap as hell, second one fan is kinda hard to find... a good dual ball bearing low speed 80mm fan for my psu in my server...

Ima see what kinda gun oils i got, but im likin the idea of marvels ... i use that stuff on EVERYTHING.... espicallly on my Z50's 110cc motor... put a lil in the oil, and every now and then ill pull the spark plug and intake and put a couple squirts in the combustion chamber to lube up the rings and top end.

I've found Silicone oil (rather than grease) to be the best. Little chance of it damaging anything.

Back