• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Is a Opteron 165 a step up from a Opteron 148 ?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

1eyedjak

I just got the urge to get a newer cpu for my old 939 rig...I found one new for $70 so I got it...

Will i notice a difference from the 939 Opteron 148 I have now...? I Know the 165 is dual core....but clocked a little slower...

How well do these 165 overclock?

I am not much of a geek anymore...sorry for newb questions...

what temps do these 165 run? my 148 runs at 112-115 F ....

With an Opteron 165 you should be able to clock it to at least 2.5 GHz with little effort. With the exception of a few chips even the crappiest steppings overclock to at least 2.5 GHz. Those Opterons generally overclocked very well compared to their Athlon counterparts, most people were running 165s around 2.7 or 2.8 GHz IIRC.

The big limiter will be the 9x multi, you'll need a board that can handle a HTT speed of 300 or higher to really push that 165.

using the board in my sig....i am not really overclocking the current 148 ...it will do 2.5 easy ....I just wanted a dual core cpu now.....

I personally like the 170's over the 165's due to the multiplier being higher. Both top out about the same if you have a board that will run high fsb.

well...I wanted a 170 but didnt feel it was worth the extra $50 for what I am going to do which is bare minimum overclocking....

but will the 165 perform better than a 148? if I leave it stock I dont want to loose any performance...haha...like I have any now...haha

I still have my expert-170 rig and performance isn't really that old IMO

stock for stock in single threaded apps the 148 might win

its 2.2 vs 1.8

but in multi-threaded apps the 165 is gonna be better to handle it's load.

It's all really IMHO what you do with your pc mainly. The 165 can run smp folding where the 148 can't.

well....haha.....I got to thinking and bought a 170...it was the max I could see putting into the system...

so the Opteron 165 will be for sale...or my Opteron 148....I might want to keep one for spare....

so now I am going to run a 170 Opteron

nice let us know how it performs

do you have the stepping and date code for it that would tell us if its a gem or not :D

Most of the 170s overclock very well. You will find that the dual cores open programs much faster than the single cores.

I dont have the stepping until I get the actual chip...I got it from a place selling off a bunch of cpu's and the pic of the cpu shown wasnt necessarily the chip I am getting...

Back