• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Will this PSU be able to handle WC?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Lukee

I have 2 PSU and 2 systems. I am WCing one and air cooling the other.

I have a corsair hx520 and corsair hx620,

Will the 520 be able to handle the following:

E8600
Asus P5Q3 Deluxe/Wifi
Antec 900 Case
Xigmatek S-1283
3 SATA drives (1 HD, 2 DVD)
Diamond 4870X2 2GB Video Card
Asus Xonar Sound Card

and

Swiftech MCR320-QP-K Triple 120mm Radiator
Swiftech Apogee GTZ Extreme Performance CPU Waterblock
Swiftech MCP655™ 12 VDC Pump
Swiftech MCRES-Micro
Dangerden Fill Syringe
Masterkleer Tubing 7/16" ID 5/8" OD
1/2" T Line for 1/2" ID Tubing - Black
Swiftech RadBox MCB-120 Revision 2 - Black

Or should I use the HX620?

My other machine is

Q9550
Asus P5Q3 Deluxe/Wifi
Antec 900 Case
5 SATA drives (3 HD, 2 DVD)
Nvidia 9800GX2 1GB Video Card

I would assume that the HX520 should be able to run that, no?

Last edited:
Probably, but you're cutting it close. If I were you, I'd just buy a 700+ watt CPU for your WC rig, and use the 620 for the Air rig.

I just bought the 520 and 620. I was told they would be fine for air and one person even mentioned that the 520 would have enough left over for water.

At that time I wasn't going to WC. I bought both PSU a couple of days ago. I wanted to get modular ones to make it a bit easier on cable management.

I have a 700+ PSU on another case that I guess I could use if I needed to, but I'd rather see if this fails first.

I just bought the 520 and 620. I was told they would be fine for air and one person even mentioned that the 520 would have enough left over for water.

At that time I wasn't going to WC. I bought both PSU a couple of days ago. I wanted to get modular ones to make it a bit easier on cable management.

I have a 700+ PSU on another case that I guess I could use if I needed to, but I'd rather see if this fails first.

I have an HX620 running the rig in my sig just fine and dandy. Though, that vid card probably sucks some major juice.

That's what this guy thought too.

http://img170.imageshack.us/img170/4210/img0065wp8.jpg

Unfortunately, if you don't know how to manage/hide cables and or mod your case a little bit, no modular PSU in existence is going to help you. To add to that statement, there is going to come a point where you have added enough components(your system would be close) that you have to use all the cables anyway, and any advantage a modular could provide is lost.

More often than not, I've found that a conventional PSU allows for better cable management, especially if you have a 900. Just one small bundle of cables through the tray and route em where they need to go from the back instead of the front.

http://img518.imageshack.us/img518/4893/img0268di0ub3ji8.jpg

Modular PSU's really shine when you have a case that simply doesn't allow for any extra cables, like a lanbox or a bench.

Back on Topic:
A Corsair 620 might do the trick, I don't really know.
I had a Silverstone 600w ST60F powering my 680i, Q6600 @3.6GHz, 4GB DDR2, 2xRaptor150's, 1xHD4870 and not a hitch.

5 HDD's though, and a GX2..... That's going to be quite a load, I'd opt for a 750w at the minimum to be safe. Is it still in the box? Can you return yours for a trade in???

If you do try it, please let us know how it goes and if you can measure/estimate the load that system puts out. It would be interesting to know.

Maybe OklahomaWolf will stop by and put in his two cents.

Last edited:
I see what you mean. I put the Q9550 together and wow, there is no space. I see how people have their wires hidden, but I guess they drilled a hole and put the wires through there.

What did they use? Would just a regular drill work?

I want to go back and redo the installation once i get the case modded a bit.

I have a WC setup for my other system using the same case, but I am thinking that it may be better to use my TT Armor instead.

Back