• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

4850 oc suggestions?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Lowfatmayo

So my Call of Duty skips a few frames every now and then, and gets really bogged down in heavy action, so I wanted to give oc'ing a shot. My specs are as follows:

Processor: AMD Sempron 2.2gHz quad-core
Graphics: ATI Radeon 4850 with stock fan
RAM: 4gigs DDR2
Monitor at 2048 x 1536 with 75 screen refresh

Currently, my 4850 is set on standard 500 MHz GPU clock and 750 MHz memory clock. It has max settings of 700/1200.

I manually altered the code to make my fan run at 60 (noisy, I would prefer 45, but I want to see how far I can push it).

I'm running 48 Celsius idle...

Does anyone have a suggested OC setting to run my games at? Or any other suggested hardware/software changes/fixes, etc.? I've never oc'ed before... my graphics are beautiful, it's just running high-end games a little choppy at full resolution. Thanks for your help!

:welcome: to the forums.

I am not sure your problem is the vid card. That sempron CPU is not all that powerful and I believe its a single core proc not quad.

did i say sempron? that's my lack of sleep talkin. it's a phenom, 2.3 gHz quad

Ahh, well that certainly makes a big difference. If you already have the tools to OC the card, just OC it in small increments while running 3dmark06 or some other testing software to find stability.

Did you mean Phenom perhaps? Sempron can't be a quad core, as they were all single core lower end AMD CPUs.

2048x1536 is a very high resolution, 2nd 4850 would probably help the most.

Ocing can help some, slowly bump up the core speeds and test for stability using something like ATI Tool artifact scanner. Once you find a stable core speed within decent temperatures, clock back to stock and try the memory, then find the best clocks for both at the same time which would be lower then their individual max.

If your 4850 has stock cooling its probably not going to allow for too much OC headroom as they can run a bit hot, just make sure to monitor the temps under full load.

thx guys. should i download a 3rd party program to test my overclock settings, or am i okay with the one that came with ati CCC?

thx guys. should i download a 3rd party program to test my overclock settings, or am i okay with the one that came with ati CCC?

If there is a new ATItool compatible with the 4k series cards, you may want to download that.

Back