• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Why does Gnome feel imprecise when photoediting?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

>HyperlogiK<

I have been using Ubuntu as a secondary OS for about 2 years now and I love a lot of things about it. However I do a lot of bitmap image editing and I absolutely have to use Photoshop to do it.

I never really thought about why before, without thinking about it I had just labeled GIMP as a piece of crap. However I was playing around with GIMP on a windows machine recently and something struck me. It wasn't crap, in fact it was very usable. I think the original interface is messy but this is probably the result of having grown up with another product, and GIMPshop could help fix that. So I tried it under Ubuntu again and much to my surprise, no dice. It doesn't seem to be GIMP that is the problem, but Gnome.

I have never really noticed it in normal use, but when using a mouse or graphics tablet for image editing, Gnome seems too laggy and imprecise. I tried tweaking the mouse settings, swapping my Razer Deathadder for a friend's Logitech G9, tweaking my Wacom tablet, but even on the maximum sensitivity settings the laggy and imprecise feeling remained. In case it was some quirk of my old Yonah laptop I installed Ubuntu on my brand new Wolfdale build and everything was exactly the same.

Now I know that there are at least a few gfx people who use Linux, so I'm hoping one of you might shed some light on my situation. Should I switch to KDE or XFCE? Is this just a mad quirk of all Linux GUIs? Or will I have to run a machine with Windows and Photoshop for ever more?

actually its neither linux nor gnome. I suspect its Ubuntu

I work for Imax and we take movies and turn them into 3d. All of our compositors, half of the Roto department and all of DMR uses linux and gnome. In fact they do so out of preference most of them. The find the program they use (Shake) is of much poorer quality in the Windows Version as compared to the linux version. Further, especially the compositors have never complained about imprecision and believe me these guys would. The are in the 6 figure pay grade and get the best of everything, basically they complain and it gets changed in a hurry.

We have used Suse, Fedora and CentOS (which is the current distro of choice). Nautilus crashed all the time in Fedora but not on the other two. I suspect that the issue is related to your lag issue in that, it must be the way that it is communicating with the distro and not the program itself

I don't think it's Ubutnu either. I dont do media professionally but do hobby photography and get picky for an amateur with my working environment. I have never really liked gimp but that may be because I have used photoshop since version 5. I do use photoshop CS2 with wine and Ubuntu on my HP dv2000 and have no problems whatsoever with anything. The look of the fonts are a little annoying but I think that is just from being used to windows for so long. Other then that it acts the same to me in both environments with whatever I try and do in photoshop.

Back