• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Remote Desktop Not Working

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Status
Not open for further replies.

kayson

I've set up remote desktop many times before, but for some reason this time it refuses to work. The computer is at home, I'm trying to connect at school. PC at home is on a static IP. Port 3389 is forwarded to it. It's set to allow users to connect remotely.

The remote desktop works over the LAN, but I can't access it from here. I also tried enabling dmz to that pc, but it still doesn't work. Any ideas?

I've set up remote desktop many times before, but for some reason this time it refuses to work. The computer is at home, I'm trying to connect at school. PC at home is on a static IP. Port 3389 is forwarded to it. It's set to allow users to connect remotely.

The remote desktop works over the LAN, but I can't access it from here. I also tried enabling dmz to that pc, but it still doesn't work. Any ideas?

id bet its the schools internet blocking the port.

[edit - try this before reading below, open up command prompt (if its not vista) and type the following in exactly putting your home ip in from you school;
telnet ip.ip.ip.ip 3389
if your cmd promt session goes completely black, then you have made a successful connection to your home pc. if it says connect failed, then its done just that, and read below :)]

what are you trying to RDP to? is it a vista machine?
i just set mine up today and i see that you can deny rdp from machines that are not vista machines..

if your school is blocking outgoing port 3389 what you can do, is open up your registry on your home machine and change the port from 3389 to something else. both my machines at home are in the 65000 range, so i can rdp to one ip and get two machines.

then to connect to that machine you open up rdp and type ip.ip.ip.ip:65000
also, this is more secure, as you get random bots and people scanning ip's for open common ports.
i miss typed my old ip address once and got a windows 2003 server somewhere in europe!

now if i knew what i was doing i could have attempted a brute force attack...and you can see what im getting at.

if you need help, feel free to pm me.

your school might even block everything else bar certain ports.
obviously 80 will be open as thats www but if you have your pc listening for rdp on port 80 im quite sure that your internet on that pc will stop working. you could try 23, or 21. they may not block telnet or ftp. but may block the higher ports like the 60000 i suggested. port numbers go from 1 to 65535

good luck

Have you asked hte network admin? no. We do not tolerate these kind of threads here, never have, never will.

Find somewhere else to test.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back