• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Compatable issues with MS Office/Word?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

videobruce

I have been using Ability Write Office for my word processing program. I can open & view a M$ Word document with no known problem. If I compose a document, when it is viewed on 'Word', the spell checker is either disabled, or it just can't see misspelled words. Ability Write's tech suuport confirms this. There were a few other 'quirks' with Ability that I wasn't really happy about, but worked around them, But a number of pluses (not M$ and smaller).

Now I am trying 'Open Office' (which I tried before many years ago) and to my surprise the same thing is happening.

Any input here?

BTW; The only M$ product I use is the O/S. Nothing else, so don't even suggest using Office.

So .doc files saved using OpenOffice or AWO, when opened in Word, can't be spellchecked?

Does this occur with all Word installations or just one? It would seem to be a setting issue on a particular installation of Word. :confused:

Knowing M$, AFAIC it is by design considering how they have gone out of their way to try to rule the internet with Idiot Exploiter by conning webmasters to write their sites to favor IE which doesn't comply to W3C standards.

For all I know it might be the fact I'm sending these documents via e-mail to someone to proof read and something happens in the process. The complaint is only one person since that is where I'm sending the documents to.

I don't have Word.

No, it's not by design - that's no excuse anymore :)p), as the .doc file specification has been fully documented since Feb [1], [2] - I've had to work with that spec extensively about a month ago.

Even so, it is an exceptionally complex format, and a cursorly review on my part shows that there apparently are fields that control the state of spell checking for text blocks. Most likely what is happening is that those aren't being set properly. I'd think that OO would work fine with it though, since they do have a veritable army of people (maybe it has something to do with the fact that you used AWO first?).

Back