Notices

Overclockers Forums > Hardware > General Hardware
General Hardware Discuss your new build and gather upgrade suggestions. And if your question doesn't fit anywhere else...it goes here.
Forum Jump

Extra LCD, need ideas for use

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe Search this Thread

Old 09-08-08, 08:24 PM Thread Starter   #1
syrian_gamer

Extra LCD, need ideas for use

Hello everybody. I recenty got what i think is the best deal ever. I got a 20 inch acer LCD for 70$ with tax...Canadian

anyways i have no idea what i could do with it. My desk is kinda small, so i couldnt really use dual screen. If i did i would have to put the screen at 90 and maybe use it when im reading articles or browsing these forums

My second idea was to hook it up on my wall and use it as a media center pc, and use a tv tuner card.

Thats where my ideas and use for this extra screen end. Im sure all the modders out there will have some ideas of what i can do with it. So post your ideas here (No matter how crazy) and maybe ill do 1 of them and post some pics

Also i will not put the screen in my computer, there just isnt enough room in my case

Ram ------ 2GB OCZ PC6400 800mhz
GPU ------ XFX 8800GT
-Heatsink - HR-03GT
PSU ------ MODU 82+ 600W
Keyboard, Mouse, Speakers: Logitech G15 v2, Logitech G7 v1, Logitech X-530 5.1 speakers
syrian_gamer is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 09-08-08, 08:33 PM   #2
jamesman32

I have a similer conundrum. I got a 17 inch monitor free last week and have no use for it. I cant fit it on my desk next to my 22 inch so, thats out. I've got my mini-note with its 9 inch screen so I could wall mount it and use it as a sort of docking station....but that seems like a stupid idea.
jamesman32 is offline Heatware Profile   QUOTE Thanks
Old 09-08-08, 09:34 PM Thread Starter   #3
syrian_gamer

hmm u know thats actualy not a bad idea, if/when i get a macbook i could maybe start up like vnc or synergie, and see whats happening on the big screen. however whats the point, im not gona have my head constantly turned around anyways.

Oh Em Gee i got kind of a crazy psycho ocforums type idea. I buy a touchscreen sensor, put it on the screen, and cut a hole where my current keyboard is and put that screen there. Load up a picture of a keyboard, or heck just have the microsoft onscreen keyboard, and use that to type . Now how good would it be? probably lame, but it woudl be a neat cheapo microsoft surface

Anybody else have any ideas? what would you do with a spare lcd screen?

GPU ------ XFX 8800GT
-Heatsink - HR-03GT
PSU ------ MODU 82+ 600W
Keyboard, Mouse, Speakers: Logitech G15 v2, Logitech G7 v1, Logitech X-530 5.1 speakers
Old 09-08-08, 11:04 PM   #4
Mr.Guvernment

10 Year Badge

get a esk mount that connect to your desk and let you hang the LCD' from it, giving you the room if you want to spend like $100+ for a mount..lol

,`, Poor Planning On Your Part Does Not Constitute An Emergency On My Part ,`,
,`, The trouble with life is theres no background music ,`,
,`, Life isnt short, you're just dead for too long,`,

Mr.Guvernment is offline Folding Profile   QUOTE Thanks
Old 09-09-08, 01:21 AM   #5
TheGame240

10 Year Badge

If your desk is deep enough and the current monitor doesn't set too high, get a riser and place it behind the current monitor so the second is on top of the first.

That or I'd go with Mr. G's idea and buy/build some kind of mount to place it on the side of your desk.
TheGame240 is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 09-09-08, 06:29 PM Thread Starter   #6
syrian_gamer

i was thinking of using it as a secondary monitor, although it would have to be vertical. Although i dont want to worry about the hassels of gaming using 2 monitors. I play alot of TF2, Crysis, etc. So how will it work? i dont nessicarily want to play in a windowed mode everytime, what happens if i play a game fullscreen in 1 monitor? And wont i be loosing performance since the videocard also has to render my desktop

GPU ------ XFX 8800GT
-Heatsink - HR-03GT
PSU ------ MODU 82+ 600W
Old 09-10-08, 04:14 AM   #7
TheGame240

10 Year Badge

Games will only show on the primary display (you can set it to clone or show on secondary display depending on video card/drivers used). I've never noticed a performance hit with a secondary display enabled. 2d rendering requires so little processing power there shouldn't be any problem gaming with the second monitor enabled.
TheGame240 is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 09-12-08, 10:55 PM   #8
moto211

Cut a hole in your desktop the size of whatever monitor is smaller. flush mount a piece of glass to cover the hole and mount the screen underneath. Configure your extended desktop with the desk screen under the main monitor so you can move your mouse to the bottom of your main monitor and onto the desk screen. use the screen to display vital information, feeds, todo lists, etc.

RAM: 4GB (2x2GB) A-Data DDR2-800-----------------------------------------RAM: 8GB (2x4GB) CORSAIR Vengeance DDR3-1600
Graphics: MSI 3870OC 512mb GDDR4 XXX BIOS 850/1200--------------------------------Graphics: EVGA GT240 512mb GDDR5
PSU: Corsair TX750------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------PSU: Corsair HX650
moto211 is offline   QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Overclockers Forums > Hardware > General Hardware
General Hardware Discuss your new build and gather upgrade suggestions. And if your question doesn't fit anywhere else...it goes here.