• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Having problems with my catalyst control center, HD3870

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Thomasj

About a week ago I started having trouble with AA in games. Buildings and vehicle edges are jagged and look sorted like the have litte steps in them. Blades of grass in BF2 look like there built from building blocks lol.

The kicker is that I have everything cranked on high in the game and in the Catalyst settings. The AA is the same even if I move the sliders to performance rather than quality. It just seems to make no difference at all.

I did download the newest drivers from ati and they seem to affect my systems stability so I went back to my old ones for now..

I really dont have a clue what the problem is. I also see things sort of flashing. Like the leaves on trees appear to be cutting in and out and the ground looks like a checkerboard.

FPS appears to be fine. It is not choppy or jumpy. It just looks horrible on the edges of everything. The jagged edges appear to move and flicker when I move forward or backward.

No matter what I cannot get this figured out. Any help on what to do next would be greatly appreciated.

O yea, Almost forgot

Specs are

E8400
2GB Crucial Ballistix 800
Gigabyte X38-DS4
HIS IceQ3 3870 - 1920x1200 Res on Gateway FHD2400
OCZ Power Supply
Maxtor 500GB Main
WD 250GB Secondary

It is set at 780 and 1170. I believe that is the factory settings

Which games, or is it all games? If it's only one game, there could be driver conflicts.

You could try ATI tool and see if you get any artifacting from the card.

Older versions do not but 0.27 works fine in my Vista 64.

Z

I scanned and found no artifacts at all.

Btw its doing it in all games. Was playing Battlefield 2 last night and it looked horrible.

I have tried the drivers on the HIS website, Ive tried the ones from the ATI site. I even tried installing from the disc that came with the card. And I get the same results every time.

One strange thing is that when I tried new drivers it automatically goes back to my color settings that I had with the old catalyst. I would think that after you clean out the old stuff and install new it should all be set to default but it keeps my old settings

download driver cleaner pro and follow the directions then install your old drivers and see if that takes care of it.

I didd the driver cleaner pro. When I rebooted my montor would not come on. The only way it would come on is when I booted in safe mode. I went into the device manager (insafe mode) and reinstalled the default driver. Then when I rebooted the monitor came on and I reinstalled my drivers.

In the catalyst control center it says im running an X1950Pro. It also says i have a X1950Pro in the Ati tool. But in device manager it says HD3800 series

I had an X1950Pro when I first built this system last year

Untitled.jpg

Run the driver cleaner in safe mode.

Yes wtf... it is crazy how a huge company like ATI/AMD does not know how to remove and replace their own drivers. What is even crazier is that they have other companies drivers in their driver package... maybe it saves on support calls, lol

Last edited:
Well its been about two weeks since my problem came up and ive have gotten nowhere at all on solving it. Ive tried everything short of formatting and reinstalling windows.

This is one last try for help and im selling this damn thing and buying an Nvidia card. I submitted a ticket to ATI and they were absolutely useless in helping me.

Here are some shots of what it looks like with EVERYthing cranked to quality and edge detect AA on max.

I grabbed the shots from warrock because you can get in a game so fast. didnt want to wait for a higher graphics game to load. I assure you they all do the same thing.

Could it be an actuall problem with my card itself. I Would think no AA would be a driver/software problem but Im not sure.

Notice the half missing railing on the building top.

Untitled-1.jpg

sdfg.jpg

gawg.jpg

fdf.jpg

Look at the railing and rooftop in this one.

dawdd.jpg

Back