• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Crucial Ballistix RMA

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

cyberfish

After using my 2x1gb DDR2-800 Crucial Ballistix for half a year or so, my computer just started crashing yesterday. Upon further investigation (cut the FSB by half, up the multiplier to 2x), it's the Ballistix kit. Not that it's uncommon or anything... but :). I got it for $23 or sth for the set afterall, so no complaint as long as they can fix it. It's unstable at everything stock, too (memtest errors).

Am I correct that I should ask for the double sided sticks? (mine is single sided) Is there any part number or something that I should ask for?

Also, can people who have dealt with this share your experiences? How long did it take? etc.

Thanks!

I RMAed one time to crucial and it was fast and easy. However they no longer make the old ghm sticks so I doubt you could request the dual sided ballistix

the dual sided sticks are ghm and are known to clock better then the single sidded stuff. If you have access to the classies and really want the dual sides stuff you could easily just buy a set for $50-55 (Ive seen these prices on the dual sided stuff many times) and then sell your fresh form rma set when you get it back.

I dont really remember how long the RMA took to be honest. Usually I do remember those sort of things so I have no clue how I forgot. I do know that it didnt take an extreme ammount of time though otherwise I would remember

well, I got the kit for $23... so $50 would be twice that. And I would really prefer not to deal with the hassle buying and selling things...

hmm are you sure it's ghm not gmh? Everywhere else seems to have it as GMH (including your sig :)).

ya your right its just one of those mental things where for some reason you remember things wrong because you called it the wrong thing the first time you talk about it.

For some reason I always call gmh ghm. heck the reason I put the gmh thing in my sig is so that if I call it ghm and then look down after reading over my post ill correct it. However most of the time I still call it the wrong thing :)

another thing I do, but it doesnt come across in posts, is for intel processors I call a e7200 an e seven twenty for some reason in my mind.

Anyways back on topic the sticks you have are basically generic ddr2 where as the dual sided sticks are higher bin with higher overclocking headroom, and issues a plenty to go with it, if you want the "better" revision then the classifieds are the way to do it.

Also the double sided ballistix are not for everyone. They have a documentable higher fail rate then most ddr2 and have issues with some mobos. Heck 90% of the time that I have an issue with my computer its due to my ballistix being grumpy. I have a stick of ram in reserve just for these times when my ballistix decides it doesnt want to play nice

Last edited:
Crucial RMa has one of the wost packing ever. I sent my double sided memory and I got single sided. Despite that, crucial just put memory in UPS envelope. NO cushion envelope, just plain envelope. Old memory was coming in cardboard box, new one came just in plastic package. I got cheap stuff from China that was packed better.

In year period, two of my double sided crucial memory kits died.

If I decide to sell my sticks (after they come back from warranty), how much do you think I can sell them for? 2x1gb Crucial Ballistix DDR2-800, 4-4-4-12.

If I decide to sell my sticks (after they come back from warranty), how much do you think I can sell them for? 2x1gb Crucial Ballistix DDR2-800, 4-4-4-12.

$35/$40
assuming you get single sided as they dont sell as easy as the ghm's did

Ah, that's good news. There is a huge promotion going on right now where I live, and I can get DDR2-1150 OCZ Reaper HTC for $35... :). It's not often us canadians get good stuff with good prices.

1st time 2 weeks turn time.. 2nd time X-Cross shipped 3rd time they drag their feet.. In fact I just got off with CSR.. They gave me the run around. Telling me that I need to talk to Tech support which I already did and they wanted to downgrade me because I don't overclock. I said I didn't want that and here I am getting the run around and they want to do more in depth troubleshooting. I like it's not my system. I've run Mushkin and OCZ here and they haven't failed.

I just talked to their customer support. They no longer have the double sided stuff, but they are going to give me the new 80A revision that just came out last month. Have heard good things about it, but of course one month is not enough to test their long term reliability. It's not a mission-critical system anyways, so I will give it a try :). Heard they clock really well, too, and run at 2.0V stock (vs 2.2V of the old revision). Will see how that goes.

I got the sticks. Must say I am really impressed by their customer service. Just two days after I was notified by email that they received my parts I received the new sticks (international shipping. I live in Canada). I don't have time to do extensive OC testing right now, but according to CPU-Z they have the same SPD as the older modules (DDR2-800 CAS 4, DDR2-1000, CAS5), except the voltage is now at 2.0V compared to 2.2V in the old revision. They are single sided.

Back