• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

WD6400AAKS poopin out

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Hazaro

:bang head

I knew I should of asked earlier, but now I'm paying the price. The drive is only 5 months old.

DelayedWriteFailed9-9-08.png

I got 7 of these in 7 minutes, I saved 3 other screens, but they all got corrupted and this is the sole survivor.

Not just Firefox, but writing to .png as well.

Leading up to this my computer would freeze up every few minutes for a few seconds.

Since maybe 3 months ago I started having 90% of the desktop icons go white/blank occasionally.

It's picked up in the last week, the stuttering and etc, but now I'm having write errors. Everything I do on the computer takes a few seconds to go though, even simple things as writing text it will stop for a few seconds.

So I am asking...

1) What diagnosis tools can I run, or attempt to fix this?
2) How would I back-up my data?

I am thinking of buying a new drive because you have to send your old one in for RMA correct?

Last edited:
Download WD's Data LifeGuard tool to test your drive. If it passes, I'd look to the memory being the problem next.

RAM was my second guess, but my music as still playing while compy froze up, so it was reading from that fine, plus I ran memtest for 8 hours 2 weeks ago and it was fine.

I'll run that program now, thanks for the quick reply, really appreciate it.

Losing 480GB of data is going to suck hard. (Unless that weird backup I made works)

*Should I use the DOS or Windows version? If I'm getting write errors, installing it doesn't seem like a good idea.

It is a bootable CD if it the version I have. I hope for your data's sake it is something else.

I currently am downloading the Ultimate Boot CD which has the DOS version of 11.2 WD LifeGuard which is the same as what WD has listed on their website.

How long have you had your WD6400AAKS's? Are they just for data, or do you have them set as boot drive or not?

* I'll scavenge what data I can fit on my 180GB available.

Should I try to transfer my data before running the diagnostic tool? It seems to me that it would put stress on the drive, which would reduce the chance of getting the data off afterward.

I am currently on my laptop and the desktop is off, although I am wondering if turning it off was a good idea or not.

You don't have a 2nd drive for the desktop do you?
If you did you could put an OS on it and try to move your important files (or burn them on DVD/CDs)
If it IS the HDD and you have to now try and backup all the data you should try Puppy Linux - it loads from the CD but then resides solely in RAM, allowing you to remove the CD and use the drive to burn CDs of the data you need to backup from the HDD.

Awe I'm kind of scared now, I just got 2 of these. The drive should still be under warranty though right.

I've had mine for 2 weeks / 4 weeks - mine are just storage, going to have to keep my eyes on em.

Gl getting your stuff back hazaro.

So apparently WD has an Advanced RMA program, pretty nifty.

What program should I use to transfer over the data to the new WD6400AAKS?

I remember reading something about not using the WD utility and maybe Acronis was it?

Have you made sure it isn't the sata cable, or a loose connection? In the past I've had to wiggle the connection a bit.

:bang head

I knew I should of asked earlier, but now I'm paying the price. The drive is only 5 months old.

DelayedWriteFailed9-9-08.png

I got 7 of these in 7 minutes, I saved 3 other screens, but they all got corrupted and this is the sole survivor.

Not just Firefox, but writing to .png as well.

Leading up to this my computer would freeze up every few minutes for a few seconds.

Since maybe 3 months ago I started having 90% of the desktop icons go white/blank occasionally.

It's picked up in the last week, the stuttering and etc, but now I'm having write errors. Everything I do on the computer takes a few seconds to go though, even simple things as writing text it will stop for a few seconds.

So I am asking...

1) What diagnosis tools can I run, or attempt to fix this?
2) How would I back-up my data?

I am thinking of buying a new drive because you have to send your old one in for RMA correct?

Try another cable. I gotten that error message or similar because of a bad IDE cable connector.

Both

I ditched the separation because of the hassle and I didn't like it.

I am not good with partition / HDD's in general.

I feel the same way you do! I hated managing data between two disks... its just a pain... but I too also learned the hard way and lost all my data after a HD failure.

Now I've made the investment into data back-up software and I've set it up to store a main back-up image along with incremental backups on a separate disk, so if one of the drives does fail... i have a sure way of getting my data back.

I use acronis true image 11... and it seems to work rather well, I've used it to restore a couple machines already.

I've typically only seen this message if the drive un-mounts from the system before windows is done with it... i've seen it pretty much only on thumb drives and usb externals... etc etc etc

If this is attached to the system locally ( straight SATA connection or eSATA ) i'd run that WD digital diagnostic tool that a previous poster suggested pronto before you use the drive any more... if it comes up clean than i'd suspect the drive is still good.

~ Gos

I swapped SATA port and got another cable, ran the diagnostic and came up with this.

Thing is... it doesn't tell me HOW many bad sectors I have...

WDHDDResult.jpg

It says repairing the sectors would delete the data on them, but I have most important things backed up, go for it and see how it ends up?

*Replacement is already on it's way, but would it be possible to fix the damaged sectors then copy over an image of the drive?

23msn7s.png.jpg

That's what started acting up before the pauses, before the error messages.

Anyway, I got my important stuff off and I wanted to try to image it anyway.

So again I'm gonna ask for suggestions to TRY and copy my drive over to a new WD6400AAKS, thanks.

I already tried another port and another cable.

Looks like it copied over the files with errors as well

Would a Windoze repair install fix this? Or help?

I already tried another port and another cable.

Looks like it copied over the files with errors as well

Would a Windoze repair install fix this? Or help?

It's best to wipe the HDD with DBAN and start over. After making sure you have stuff backed up on another drive.

A USB flash drive is helpful for your pictures and music. ;)

Back