• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Computer not starting up when I plug in 1TB Sata drive.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

oso_fast

Hey guys, I just recently got a new Seagate 1TB Sata drive. The thing is, when I plug it in before I turn my computer on, my computer will get stuck on the screen where it detects the Sata drives. It'll get past my 300GB Sata drive properly, it only gets stuck on the new one. The only way it will work is if I start up without it plugged in and I hotswap it in after I am in Windows.

It had a jumper in it, but I took it out in hope of it working. It Didn't work, though. Now, I'm totally stuck on what to do. Do you guys have any ideas as to what would make it work?

Thanks guys

If thats your current setup...I am betting the older sata controller cant handle the drive on startups...or is having a issue detecting it...have you updated your BIOS?

If thats your current setup...I am betting the older sata controller cant handle the drive on startups...or is having a issue detecting it...have you updated your BIOS?
I was actually hoping to avoid having to update my BIOS. Didn't want to risk it. Unless someone else has any ideas, I may update my BIOS soon.

Flashing BIOS is not nearly the endeavor it once was... most mfg's have steps/software on their website for your specific mobo.

GL

I'll second glock's opinion. I bought two new SATA II 750GB hard drives, one Seagate and one WD. Both drives won't let my XP 2500+ / Abit NF7 rig when they're plugged in.

I tried them on my fairly new C2D / Abit FP-IN9 system though, and they worked just fine.

So, I've updated my BIOS to 1008 D. Started up with the 1TB drive plugged in and... no go. I'm stumped as to what to do next. Any suggestions?

Try the HDD in another system at this point. If it boots in the other system, well, you still don't know what the issue is. But if it fails in another system, it 100% narrows it down to the drive.

Try the HDD in another system at this point. If it boots in the other system, well, you still don't know what the issue is. But if it fails in another system, it 100% narrows it down to the drive.
The drive works. I can hotswap it in after Windows loads up. I just can't start up with it in. My computer gets stuck on the SATA Raid Bios screen.

sorry to hijack the thread but i got a similiar problem....I got the same hard drive also and I'm trying to do a clean install of vista 64bit but it keep saying no drive found but it's showing up in my bios...I've tried native ide, legacy ide, and ahci, and none works...I have a new board too...a dfi LP JR 790gx-mrs2...I haven't tried raid since I only have one hard drive...any suggestions?

sorry to hijack the thread but i got a similiar problem....I got the same hard drive also and I'm trying to do a clean install of vista 64bit but it keep saying no drive found but it's showing up in my bios...I've tried native ide, legacy ide, and ahci, and none works...I have a new board too...a dfi LP JR 790gx-mrs2...I haven't tried raid since I only have one hard drive...any suggestions?

After geting into windows...did you run the seagate install CD...if not try that...it should see the HDD adn set it up for windows to fully see it...

okay...I think I've fixed it after a bunch of troubleshooting....yesterday I took the jumper out of the drive so it can run faster but I read that there may be incompatibility when doing this when installing vista so I put the jumper back in, loaded up xp to delete the partion so now the drive is unpartioned..took disc out..disabled all my ide and usb and just left my sata enabled and then rebooted and now vista is installing...sheesh..what a pain but it's going to be worth it with my new system...Im coming from a pentium 4 2.4ghz with 1 gb of ram and 500 gb hd to an amd be 2400, 8 gb of ram, and 1 Tb hd :)...

Last edited:
Back