• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Just Curious about Gigabit

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Huserx

I was curious about Gigabit ethernet what is the advantage of Gigabit ethernet over 10/100

For me it still would have to go through my router (which I doubt is Gigabit) and then the DSL modem and so on..

I was curious about Gigabit ethernet what is the advantage of Gigabit ethernet over 10/100

For me it still would have to go through my router (which I doubt is Gigabit) and then the DSL modem and so on..

Gigabit is 10/100/1000 vs only 10/100. This translates to 10's the max bandwidth potential of 10/100.

However, this is only really useful between computer to computer on a local network both which have gigabit ethernet jacks already and are connected through a gigabit switch or router. Since the output and input to and from the internet will still only be 10/100 at best, you will see no increase in performance in data to or from your ISP or in web-surfing.

Any connection you put thought your existing router will be slowed down to 10/100 speeds only.

- Blackstar

if you have everything gigabit (router dosn't matter but you will need a gigabit switch) then you will notice a differance when transfering large files from computer to computer. otherwise, there isn't much differance.

I personally couldn't live without it.

in small networks 100mb will be fine for most.. but now with people having their own servers and distributing files around their home, then gb will be loads better for them.

they are releasing 10gb switches now.

Back