• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

need help connecting

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

scoobydoo

i just hooked up a router(Linksys WRT54g with DD-WRTv24) and i cant access the internet through it. internet works fine straight through the modem

my laptop says it is connected through wireless, but when i try to get online i get the "IE cannot display the webpage" error

same thing happens when i try to use it wired

i know almost nothing about networking so any help would be appreciated

thanks

are you sure your connected to the router through wireless? are you getting an ip? can you ping the router? can you ping any website?

wireless says i am connected to the network at 11.0Mbps and 5 bars signal

as above. try using command prompt to ping your default gateway (which should be your router)

if you have vista, what keeps happening to me recently is that if i get new ip details, it wont actually apply them to my nic. so i need to restart the laptop and then it applies.

if you can ping your router, try pinging a device on the internet. a valid pingable ip address is; (write it down and try it on the laptop)

if that pings fine, then try to ping a dns name like bbc.co.uk
if that doesnt work then it seems to be your dns that is the issue.
you could manually set your dns to your router so that it uses your isp dns info,
or temporarily set your laptops dns to a public one like;

good luck

wireless says i am connected to the network at 11.0Mbps and 5 bars signal

this just means that your laptop has authenticated against your router. it does not mean that layer 3 information is working (eg ip info). im not sure about layer 2, i will go and look this up

i tried pinging "212.58.224.131" and got back "reply from 192.168.1.1: destination host unreachable"

that means it is my dns?

in my modem connection status i found this:

IP Network Address
PPP 207.118.186.130
Primary DNS 207.230.202.29
Secondary DNS 207.230.192.254

would manually adding one of those to the routers setup in the "local dns" space help?

a reply from 192.168.1.1 unreachable means that you have no internet connection from that device..

im guessing your default gateway is 192.168.1.1, and your router should be 192.168.1.1..
can you check the lan settings of your router to make sure that is the device..

in my modem connection status i found this:

IP Network Address
PPP 207.118.186.130
Primary DNS 207.230.202.29
Secondary DNS 207.230.192.254

would manually adding one of those to the routers setup in the "local dns" space help?

this would suggest that your connections is connected and you have got your ip settings from your internet service provider.

BUT i think these settings have been manually typed in because;
1 i cannot ping you,
2 i cannot telnet to your port 80

you should see somewhere on your router what you WAN gateway is, you should be able to ping that from your pc.
i dont think dns is an issue just yet

LAN Status
MAC Address 00:1A:70:77:41:C2
IP Address 192.168.1.1
Subnet Mask 255.255.255.0
Gateway 0.0.0.0
Local DNS 0.0.0.0

WAN
Connection Type Automatic Configuration - DHCP
Connection Uptime 0:02:07
IP Address 192.168.1.47
Subnet Mask 255.255.255.0
Gateway 192.168.1.1
DNS 1 192.168.1.1
DNS 2
DNS 3
Remaining Lease Time0 days 23:57:34

ty so much for helping, i am clueless what all these numbers mean

your pc's ips look good.

your routers is puzzling me..

it says that the lan side of your router doesnt have a gateway ie 0.0.0.0

what does the wan side say? is there a gateway?
if there is no space for a gateway on the router on the WAN side (the internet side)
then in the LAN side, change the gateway from 0.0.0.0 to your isp's gateway if you have it..
do you know if your ISP dynamically assigns you with these details? or do you have to manually type them in?
if they dynamically assign them, then you should setup your router so it does so.
remember if you do a factory reset you will need your dsl username and password.

did you ever have this working before for you?
i need to go to sleep now.
hope you get it sorted. worst case, hopefully i have given you some ammo to call your isp with!

i think i figured it out. wired and wireless connections are working now:)

i had to change the "WAN connection type" from "Auto Config DCHP" to "PPPoE" and input the user name and password they gave me. i also manually entered 192.168.1.1 for the gateway and dns

lol, i hope i dont have any other problems cause i am not 100% sure what i did to get it working

thank you for your help, it sure did point me in the right direction:)

i think i figured it out. wired and wireless connections are working now:)

i had to change the "WAN connection type" from "Auto Config DCHP" to "PPPoE" and input the user name and password they gave me. i also manually entered 192.168.1.1 for the gateway and dns

lol, i hope i dont have any other problems cause i am not 100% sure what i did to get it working

thank you for your help, it sure did point me in the right direction:)

lol glad you have it sorted! :D

Back