• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Please check my wireless speed

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Dapman02

Hi, I recently had to get a new router. I like it, but I noticed that it might be a little slower than my old belkin. Wired I'm getting 4723kb/s download and uploading I get 469kb/s. Wireless I get 3483kbps down, and 473kbps up. My question is, should I upgrade my router while I can still bring this one back. Are these numbers reasonable?

I would say they are reasonable. But there are other factors. What kind of signal strength are you getting? The farther you get from your base station or if you put things like a wall in between it it will slow things down. Secondly do you have encryption turned on? Also that will slow it down.

I would say though it seems reasonable.

I would say they are reasonable. But there are other factors. What kind of signal strength are you getting? The farther you get from your base station or if you put things like a wall in between it it will slow things down. Secondly do you have encryption turned on? Also that will slow it down.

I would say though it seems reasonable.

3 out of 5 bars. I have WEP encryption and I a wall and stairs in between me and the router. The router is in my room on the 2nd floor and my laptop is on the 1st.

i take it thats its a 54mbit wifi router? try runnning the speed test right next to the router with the laptop for maximum signal strength and quality... your numbers should be almost identical wired and wireless at your internet speed. ... but as you move further away your speed will decrease

packet loss over the air will cause you to get lower speeds as you would with a cable connection.

if your just using the wireless for chat, web browsing and youtube etc then what you have is ok.

to make it better for yourself, go into the router web based user interface, and turn on mac filtering for every device you have connected over wireless.
at the same time, turn off your WEP security as you wont need it with mac address filtering on.
this will mean the router will only allow access to it over the wireless by the mac addresses that you specify.
this can help.
other than get rid of the belkin, this is all you can do.
i personally dont like belkin due to passed experiences. netgear is a personal home favorite, but i have not tried too many... ... other than cisco devices but you are looking at loads of money just for an access point.. and good luck configuring it without any prior cisco knowledge :S link

packet loss over the air will cause you to get lower speeds as you would with a cable connection.

if your just using the wireless for chat, web browsing and youtube etc then what you have is ok.

to make it better for yourself, go into the router web based user interface, and turn on mac filtering for every device you have connected over wireless.
at the same time, turn off your WEP security as you wont need it with mac address filtering on.
this will mean the router will only allow access to it over the wireless by the mac addresses that you specify.
this can help.
other than get rid of the belkin, this is all you can do.
i personally dont like belkin due to passed experiences. netgear is a personal home favorite, but i have not tried too many... ... other than cisco devices but you are looking at loads of money just for an access point.. and good luck configuring it without any prior cisco knowledge :S link

If you do turn off WEP and just use mac filtering, turn off broadcasting of your SSID too to make it a little more secure. Just as a warning though, mac filtering isn't 100% security... then again WEP isn't exactly Fort Knox so ehh.

Back