• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

project gear-box

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

beingblueeyes

Registered
By trade I’m an auto tech but I love computers and building them so project gear box is my way of trying to put the 2 together by building a computer and incorporating a lot of automotive stuff in the process. Im building it just for gaming. Today I started building the case from ¼ inch plexiglass, I chose this due to the fact it reminded me of the Polycarbonate which race cars use for windows.
DSC00916.jpg
[/IMG]
The case will hold 4 hard drives (as the plan stands right now 3 32 gb raptors in raid0 for windows and one 500 gb hd) have one dvd drive and will be water cooled, for the radiator im going to use an oil cooler from a turbo Volvo and for a water pump I’m going to use either 2 fuel pumps from 4 cylinder imports or one 255 lph performance pump I have laying around.
DSC00917.jpg
[/IMG]
DSC00918.jpg
[/IMG]
To cool the radiator I’m going to be using a bilge fan (I know its from a boat) rated at 175 cfm at 12 volts and I might employ a voltage step up transformer (silver box in same pic) which turns 12 to 24 volts on the bilge fan for a extreme turbo cooling boost. More to come when I get more supplies

I like what you are doing here. I'll be following this closely as I'm a bit of a car nut myself. Looking forward to seeing your progress, and what car parts find their way into the project.

First off, I really like where this project is going. It looks to be a unique mod.

On the other hand, I thought fuel pumps rusted when you ran water through them?

On the other hand, I thought fuel pumps rusted when you ran water through them?

I’m planning to fun 80 antifreeze/20 water so I’m not sure if it will rust or not, time will tell

The head gasket just went in my car so rebuilding the head has taken most of my time but I decided to ditch the bilge fan and went out and bought (2) PROCOMP 10" INCH ELECTRIC RADIATOR COOLING FAN
http://i12.ebayimg.com/07/i/000/b0/5c/1705_1.JPG

They draw 8 amps each and flow 1250 cfm each at 12 volts
so it will be very quiet :screwy: one will be just for the rad. and the other one will be for everything other then the rad.

the direction of this project has changed, its now called the "atomic YETI" will post updated pics soon

hell yea man it will still have car parts (rad fan and 12v head light step up trans and even some of the ¼ inch plexiglass)

right now i have a ****ty 25$ case
680i MB
2 gb ddr2 800 ram (for now)
2.4 ghz core 2
2 8800 gtx's
2 700 watt psu's
car heater core
2 36 gb raptors
1 tb hd

more to come soon

Back