• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Antec vs. Corsair ?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

FBPerformance

Registered
Working on the specs for my new build, Looking for some suggestions if you guys would like to add some. This is what I'm currently planning on. . .

CPU: C2D E8500
MoBo: Asus P5Q Deluxe
Memory: Corsair Dominator 4GB PC8500
PSU: Either Antec TPQ 1000w or 850w or Corsair 750w
Vid: HIS Ati 4850 IceQ
Cooler: Xigmatek HDTRS1283 w/ optional backing plate
Case: Antec 1200
HD: I'am keeping my 250gb & 500gb Seagate drives from my current rig, perhaps getting another 250 for RAID setup.

The Antec 850 & 1000w PSU's do not have a big price difference, so do you think that a 850w would be fine, or should I opt for the 1000w. I do plan on putting another 4850 in a crossfire setup down the road. TIA

PS: I would prefer something at least semi-modular

-Kyle

For your rig a Corsair HX520/620 is more than enough.
But if you want a >800 PSU you should take a look at BFG ES-800 or Antec Signature 850.

Whoa! Little bit overkill there. To power that rig, even with two 4850's you won't need anything more than a quality 500-600w PSU. Corsairs as mentioned above, Silverstones in ST, OP and DA series are high quality, good amperage ratings and full modular. The Zeus are my favorite, but not modular.
That being said, if you find something like a PCP&C Silencer 750 for $100.00 or a higher wattage/amperage Corsair or Silverstone for a great deal, I'd jump on that. Just in case you feel like upgrading to more power hungry cards in the future.

Getting a powersupply which has higher wattage than requires is a good thing, unless it's too exaggerated. It's good for the noise and future upgrades.

Go for the Corsair at 750W. It can actually deliver 900W. A powersupply at 650W should be more than enough, though. The powersupply at 750W will operate more quiet, I think.

Look at this review from Bjorn3D, I think it's great.

Go for a Corsair HX620 they are awesome.
A620w PSU that when tested was able to push out a steady 700w+ continuously under load with 80% efficiency. One such Review here.>>> http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/371
There are others.
One other thing I cannot hear the PSU at all, it's super quiet even when I am under load.

Getting a powersupply which has higher wattage than requires is a good thing, unless it's too exaggerated. It's good for the noise and future upgrades.

Go for the Corsair at 750W. It can actually deliver 900W. A powersupply at 650W should be more than enough, though. The powersupply at 750W will operate more quiet, I think.

Look at this review from Bjorn3D, I think it's great.

Not entirely a good thing. Effiency curve may be better, but Corsair units are know to be highly effecient anyway. So waisting the money on a higher unit is just... waisted money.

I always thought that the psu only used as much power as is required, If you have a 750 watt psu and are only using 300 I was under the impression it will never really use more than 300w.

I always thought that the psu only used as much power as is required, If you have a 750 watt psu and are only using 300 I was under the impression it will never really use more than 300w.

It is also true they only draw what they need. I didn't think people didn't know that, but it's a good point to be made, thanks wolfy1220.

+1 Corsair HX-620

I love that PSU. (in a strictly platonic way, of course)

It is a great little unit and my only wish is that I had bought 2 of them instead of 1.

Thanks for the input guys! Looks like I can save some money on a PSU and go for a 4870, w00t

+1 Corsair HX620

If you're gonna go crossfire then get a pair of 4850s. Single card get a 4870.

Corsair HX1000W is nice, I got it and like it, real quiet too, real strong and runs fairly cool for a 1000W. And it's modular so cable management is a tad easier.

+1 for Corsair

I had a Corsair 750 running 2x GTX280s, Q6600, all heavily overclocked...it didn't even flinch. It's since be retired to HMPC duty in favor of a 1200 watter (planning ahead ;)), but it easily could have taken the continued beating.

I agree with the others though, 620W should be sufficient for your rig with some room to spare.

i can only speak from my personal experience, but i can tell you that with the low draw that i put on my Corsair TX750, its fan never speeds up from the slowest speed. it doesn't matter how hot my apartment gets, the circuitry in the unit is never stressed and doesn't really heat up. because of the low draw and therefore the lack of heat, my PSU is probably the quietest piece of my system. I don't regret going overkill on the PSU at all, and that's saying a lot considering i purchased it when it was still $180 not $110. and i'll add that the single 60 amp rail is rock solid! i can go from idle to full load and the 12v reading with a multimeter never even flinches.

i can only speak from my personal experience, but i can tell you that with the low draw that i put on my Corsair TX750, its fan never speeds up from the slowest speed. it doesn't matter how hot my apartment gets, the circuitry in the unit is never stressed and doesn't really heat up. because of the low draw and therefore the lack of heat, my PSU is probably the quietest piece of my system. I don't regret going overkill on the PSU at all, and that's saying a lot considering i purchased it when it was still $180 not $110. and i'll add that the single 60 amp rail is rock solid! i can go from idle to full load and the 12v reading with a multimeter never even flinches.

Moto,

My analysis of my Corsair HX520 mirrors all you have stated. I'm overkill using it in this mild rig. The 12v rail has never changed significantly in 20 months whether from daily routine use to stress testing overclocks, and for some time I really had to look to see whether is was turned on, the silence was deafening. There is some merit buying overkill to a point but normally it only puts a dent in your wallet. In my case, I wanted the best modular available and it just happened to give me almost 100% headroom. :cool:

I have the corsair 750w in my rig, running 4 gpu's on it, 5 hard drives, 2 DVD roms and tons of fans... I have to say I like it a lot.

that is correct but only half of it. If your pc only needs 300w it will only draw 300w from the power supply. The other half is how much it draws from the wall. In some cased a higher wattage PSU will draw more power at say 300w than what a 4 or 500w will do to it's efficiency curve.

Back