• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Is my memory dead on arrival or are dimms dead?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Amsterdam32

Registered
Okay I had 2 1gb Corsair XMS PC2-6400 DDR2 800mhz ram sticks that i just took out and replaced with 2G versions of them and when tried to boot it gave me a continuous beeping sound. Does that mean the memory is dead or one of my dimms is dead? Tried booting by putting the old memory in and it did the same thing then I tried switching which dimms i put it into still a no go. what can the problem be?

The thing is that everything else works fine proccessor is good and video card seems to be booting up but its just when I mess with the memory it gives me the beeps.

Okay so put the old memory back in and works like a charm video card was nockd out of the slot when i was fooling with the memory. But it seems that it wont boot and gives me a long beep when I try to put the new memory in can it be that the memory timings are diffrent on both of those memory sticks thats why its not booting? here is the old memory http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820145034 and this is the new memory http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820145184. What can cause it not to boot with the new sticks becasue i dont think there is really a diffrence with the sticks that would make the new pair not boot. Anyone think they may be DOA? and Should I call newegg and get a new set of maemory?

well for starters the new ram is cas 5-5-5-18 vs 4-4-4-12.. then the voltage is different as well. new ram voltage is 1.9v, old ram voltage is 2.1v.... if voltage is to high and timings to tight then that would be the issue. put the new ram in after clearing the cmos, otherwise with the old kit set your timings to 5-5-5-18 and voltage to 1.9v. the power down and put in the new ram...

ya those should work but check your handbook that came with the mobo and see if that memory is on thier ok list for the board

also set it loose at first 55518 then set tfrc high like 54 or higher till it post then go tighter to see where it wants to run ... dont for get to set in bios what voltage corsair wants for them >1.9v (or up to 2.1 sometimes depends on which chips are on them)

if all that dont work then work with the different dividers for ram cpu combo's all boards are different

the ram doesnt nessearly have to be bad to not work on a pitcular board .. that said if thay dont work after all that then rma them for a set your mobo is known to work with

good luck ! btw welcome to the forum

Back