• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FRAPS! - Anyone here good with it?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Shiggity

Just wondering if anyone here is an experienced fraps user / movie maker. Have a few questions.

-What resolution / FPS for capturing is the best for movies?

-Best capture settings to prevent delay and chop in game?

-Does it matter which of my HDD's I capture the files to? OS drive or another one? (performance difference?)

-Any tips or tricks you know

Stuff like that.

-for best quality, whatever the original res and fps is. honestly, I know it sounds stupid, but its true.

-uh, not sure... depends, what you are importing/capturing with/from

-not really

-again, not really... worked with music videos, but not in a while.

I think you are better importing/capturing to a drive other than your o/s drive, so long as it is just as good a drive.

Yep, I have used FRAPS.

I haven't noticed any difference using my storage drive over my C drive in terms of speed.

At the highest resolution, the recordings are HUGE. You can't effectively record more than a minute of video or it will not function correctly. The AVI format seems to break when the file gets over 3 gigs. The broken file will start to play, then suddenly turn to black screen 1/2 way through or so.

The chop factor depends heavily on the game you are playing. There are no ideal settings for all games. Personally, I find that less than 40 fps looks choppy, so I max the settings out for recording that will leave me at least 40fps

Some games will crash if you have FRAPS running in the background when you start them. However, if you start the game, and THEN start FRAPS, usually no problem.

Games that are GPU intensive record better than CPU intensive games, because FRAPS uses so much processing power when recording.

That's all the tips I can think of Shiggity.

Back