• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

5000+ X2 Black Edition to Phenom 9650, is it worth it?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

azuza001

Hey guys. I've got a 5000+ BE overclocked to 3.2 here, and recently upgraded my video card from a Geforce 8800GTS 320 to a Radeon 4850. Now, my 3DMark scores went way up, and most of my games also got a nice boost in frames (plus I've got everything on high with AA now at my default res of 1366X768) except in a few select games. Most notably wsa Supreme Commander. I know this game is very CPU dependent and I was wondring if upgrading to the fastest Phenom that my MB supports (the 9650) would be worth it. I mean, sure the Phenom would make Supreme Commander faster, but it's slower clock speed would hurt other games right?

I play a LOT of different things, but mostly Titan Quest, Hellgate London, Supreme Commander, Call of Duty 4, Crysis, and Company of Heros. I don't want to upgrade and find that 1 game went up while the rest went down.

So, any help in this matter? I'd appreciate it. The proc go's for 165$ on Newegg ATM, but I'm not really in a massive rush.

From my experience at best you might see a very slight bump, I dont think it would justify $165 now if you have other uses for the quad core maybe but I have the 6000+ running at 3.4 and even if I upgraded to the 9850 I would likely see a loss in performance and I dont think your 5000 is far off from my 6000 :( but I could be wrong.

Here is a graph although it doesnt include the 5000 it has both the 6000 and 6400 and 4 of the new quads plus intel http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/2008/04/11/amd_phenom_x4_9850_9750_and_9550_b3_cpus/7

Yea, that's what I was thinking, that the slight bump may not be really worth it in some games, but in others it would help a lot. The main thing I don't want to happen is to get it and find some games went up while others went down, and having done some more research I think that's what would happen.

Back