• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

advantage of 1GB 4850 over 512MB 4850?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Rich'[ard]

been reading up, found an HIS 4850 IceQ 4 1GB for $265 and 512MB for $259 (AUD)

1GB
http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=193_675&products_id=8103

512MB
http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=193_675&products_id=8013

i'm not sure on the difference between a 512MB and 1GB version, but no doubt it's worth the 6 dollars difference?

i have a few more questions:
it's 50 dollars more than the stock 4850, so would the IceQ heatsink be worth it?
is it better than the 9800GTX+?

The 1Gb version will only get slightly better at higher resolutions with only a small difference, but for $6 why not :p

Also, the HD4850 and the 9800gtx+ are very similar in performance, with the 9800gtx+ a bit better at lower to moderate resolutions (1680x1050 etc), and perform around the same at the higher ones.

Hes in Australia... those are the prices over there.

As for the price difference, 512 will probably do all you need to do, if you get crossfire, then the 1Gig will have more of a benifit. But for $6 difference, get it, it can't hurt really, only thing is it might limit in overall OCing of the memory but thats about it.

In response the question about the IceQ cooler, thay have been pretty much tops as far as stock-provided cooling goes for a few years now, may save you a few dollars and some hassle (or enjoyment, depending on your perspective :) ) of changing out the cooler down the line.

In response the question about the IceQ cooler, thay have been pretty much tops as far as stock-provided cooling goes for a few years now, may save you a few dollars and some hassle (or enjoyment, depending on your perspective :) ) of changing out the cooler down the line.

Also saves on possibility (small) of damaging your card during heatsink swap out AND (more likely) voiding the warranty by doing so.

IF you do not like noise then get the IceQ.

Otherwise the stock single slot cooler on the 4850 is just fine. IF you use the profiles hack to speed up the fan :)

yeh, white_pawn, i wish i was in USA, or somewhere where everything was cheaper.
thanks for the responses.
where i live,the IceQ 4850 is pretty much priced between a stock 4850 ($215) and a stock 4870 $(350).

Back