• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Antec 1200 noise vs 900

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Kai_Force

Is the antec 900 and 1200 about the same, loudness wise?

Do the meshes block out some sound at all?

Im thinking of upgrading, as i need more hard drive room, and a bigger case lol.

Also dont want to waste all my blue LED fans and cathodes to a silent case without a sidewindow.

There are more than a few fans on the Antec 1200 so naturally depending on your speed setting will depend on how loud it gets plus your other hardware. My biggest gripe with the Antec 300, 900, 1200 is the noise. They're great for airflow and oc'ing but not for silent pc's. You can change that by getting all new fans for your rig but it's hard to find fans that are quiet and don't lose CFM because they are quiet. Shop around and read some reviews, IMO the cable management is horrible in these three cases so if you're OCD like me and cable management is a must look elsewhere.

Last edited:
I have the 1200 and noise is more than manageable with the fan speed settings. Wire management isn't difficult either due to the holes pre-drilled in the back of the case.

I'm not sure how loud is TOO loud to you, but I can tell you that this case is not one that I would consider loud at all.

Well im used to 11 fans on my antec 900, a few of them being on max lol.

OSUmaxx whats speeds are your fans set at btw?

According to SPCR, below 30db is quiet and below 20db is silent. Yate loon d12SM*/sflex "G" from petra tech shop + good fan controllers like sunbeam should be get you to ~23db. If you have lots of fans, I recommend a 4pin to 6 3-pin splitter. A comprehensive fan review can be found here: http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=171661

This may not be relevant to you. It's just a statement about noise of fans. :)

*the ones from petra shop is much better

Yate Loon D12SH-12 Curved blade from PTS - This is what Petras stocks mostly...it's a very good fan, especially for the price. Especially on the radiator. The 12V and 11V numbers are out-of-line with the expected and with what others experience and I can hear noticeable extraneous noise at those two voltages...probably something wrong with my fan specifically. I still like it too... Like most fans, it improved SLIGHTLY over its 0-hour test numbers.

Yate Loon D12SH-12 Straight blade from PTS - This is what Petras stocks occasionally...it's a very good fan, especially for the price. Especially on the radiator. Mine made no extraneous noises....it's SLIGHTLY better than the curved blade variant on the radiator, but SLIGHTLY worse in open air. I call it a draw overall. Like most fans, it improved SLIGHTLY over its 0-hour test numbers.

Yate Loon D12SH-12 Straight blade NOT from PTS - This is the D12SH-12 available from every place not named Petras Tech Shop. They DO use different suppliers and this fan IS different. It has different internals, scales differently with voltage and noticeably deteriorated from its 0-hour performance. It makes some noises I don't want my fans making: mainly light thuds and clicks. In fact, all but one non-PTS Yate Loon made extraneous noise. Oh, it also doesn't perform that well...look at the graphs.

Yate Loon D12SM-12 Curved blade from PTS - This is what Petras stocks mostly...it's a very good fan, especially for the price. Especially on the radiator. It's not as good as its ratings (56CFM vs. 70CFM rated) but overall the performance is very solid. Like most fans, it improved SLIGHTLY over its 0-hour test numbers. I really like this fan.
Yate Loon comparison
Yate Loons are a big deal. In modern computers, we've shifted toward numerous large, quiet fans...so price becomes more noticeable in end-cost. And they're the least expensive fans you can buy, come in many varieties, and ultimately, pretty damned good. Actually...some are great and others suck.

In my testing: one thing became very clear, the one variable for determining quality is place of purchase. Petra's Tech Shop Yate Loons outperformed the others by quite a bit. And most importantly...they performed differently. They had different physical characteristics.

Simply, Petras has different Yates than everyone else.

Further investigation and chatting brought up this important fact: Petras is the only retailer to deal directly with Yate Loon. Other retailers (Jab-Tech, P-PCs, etc) unfortunately use a middle-man. This middle-man can apparently sell them fans at costs below what Yate Loon would sell to them, so the business choice was clear.

Why did Petras stick with Yate Loon directly? Not sure...but we should be glad they did. Their $4 Yate Loons are among the best-as-tested fans, competing and beating fans 2-6 times their price. Furthermore, they really don't have any 'bad' qualities other than being sleeve bearing (which isn't a bad thing for most people, but it makes a difference for some).

How are PTS fans different from non-PTS fans:

1) different voltage scaling. 12V may be similar...but at 5V the non-PTS fans spin noticeably slower (but aren't that much quieter, if at all). This could be a good thing, but it does sacrifice tunability in the mid-range.

2) different radiator performance. The fans may have identical blade structures, but put them both on a radiator and suddenly the non-PTS is sucking wind. PTS Yates have CFM-loss numbers comparable to most 38mm-thick fans. They're excellent on radiators.

3) different performance growth over time. 0-hour numbers are very similar. That is, take the out of the box, plug them in and test, and they appear to be the same. Run them both for 24-hours and retest and like most fans, the PTS Yates get 1-2% better. The non-PTS fans drop back nearly 10% and often develop odd noises. Ultimately, performance for the long-term is important, not performance right when you get them. PTS fans have a major advantage here.

4) external appearance. There are minute differences in external appearance, the 5xx are very noticeable, 6xx less so, and 7xx nearly or exactly identical. This means that new fans are no longer externally discernible. This is not a good thing...at least with the older fans you could pick them up, look at them, and know which one was the good one.

5) internal appearance. PTS has done a take-down of some of the various offerings and the internal differences were shocking. Nothing 'bad' necessarily, but it was clear they are very different fans.

So yeah, they're different fans, let's see some graphs and show the performance discrepancies.

Open Air:
picture8gi8.png

Radiator:
picture10bc6.png

CFM vs. CFM-loss%:
picture11oq7.png

(hint for this graph: separate them into two separate groupings: black plastic fans and clear plastic fans...)

Okay...I think I've said enough on the subject and I'll let the numbers do the talking smile.gif

Well im used to 11 fans on my antec 900, a few of them being on max lol.

OSUmaxx whats speeds are your fans set at btw?

They are all set on medium(ish) - and the case right now is sitting right by my ear so no complaints. On low they are extremely quiet.

Quiet

I would consider my 1200 to be pretty darn quiet. The 9800gx2 inside is a different story though!

Anyway, I love this case, but it is very big. The size didn't really set in for me until I was finished building and put it in place. It is big, but it is very nice.

Back