• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

encryted under admin then made user ...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

thorilan

ok i need a bit of help here. (XP)

on one of my computers i made a folder an encrypted BUT at the time i had not made a user profile .
what that usually means is that when you log on without fast switching is you are always the administrator.

my problem is that now that i have made a profile and i dont want to loose all the stuff on the profile it will no longer let me log on as the original admin ( the choice does not even show up on list of users )

how can i log on as the original administrator to un encrypt the folder?

it wont let me change the settings from my user profile even though i should have all rights ( im the only user profile of the particular computer)

i cant afford to loose that folder because it has years of work in it

any help you can give would be greatly appriciated.
if you need any elaboration i can give it but i think i covered the problem

ctrl+alt+delete at the login page should allow you to sign in as the administrator

oh i tried it from fast user and it wouldnt when i did crtl alt del but when i completely log out of user then it allows me BUT i might be spelling admin wrong.

the default when is stalled is Administrator with capital A? or is it Admin or admin or administrator? or am i misspelling it or is my memory really going and its something else ( could swear it was Administrator

ok this may sound stupid.

but i can only partially un encrypt the folders and files.

i dont exactly know what im doing with the options .

from the root folder i want permissions for everyone for everything but i get a list of administrator and stratorS and a few other names and such but i can only seem to get folders 2 levels down undone but not the files . i was hoping that doing the root folder i could just do everything all at once .

what options should i do to do that?

You need to check the box that says "apply to all child folder and objects".

lol i did that but its something more basic than that.
if i want to control everything from say my profile starting at the folder that holds all other folders and stuff whats the first step because i can see everything now as folders and files just cant open the actual files /pics movies /docs

Have you tried safe mode to log in as the admin? That seems to be, by far, the easiest route.

thats the only way i can get in atm.
see there is a list of multiple permissions .
do i choose ONLY the singular version of administrator and take ownership of the root folder then delete all the other profiles listed and then start over?
or should i try and encrypt the entire folder again under my profile? then un encrypt it ?
will that overwrite the security cert needed or will it just error and not allow it because some of the stuff is still previously encrypted?

If you can just flat out unencypt it, do it; easiest thing to do by far. From there, just reset the permissions. ;)

i just dont get it. i have taken ownership of everything but it wont allow me to un encrypt it.
i know where and how to encrypt and i got the folders un encrypted but the objects in the folder wont un encrypt
im trying to un encrypt them as owner and have tried doing individual items and that wont work either. i get permission denied but when i took ownership i have full control listed

There is going to be two sections...ownership and permissions. I'd suggest changing both.

guess i might have to pay someone that can actually sit at the computer to do it because its not transfering to the objects , just the folders have become un encrypted and no mater what permissions i give it or who takes ownership i get access denied on just the objects when i try and decrypt them

Are you logged in with the exact same user that encrypted the files? And you haven't by any chance deleted the EFS certificate?

i havent deleted anything and im on the account that encrypted the folder originally but now after un encrypting it only did the folders and not the files even though it should have done all and now i dont know who has the permissions to unencrypt the files themselves or how to get permissions to that account or change who gets the permissions because it says not inhereted any time i try and do so

Back