• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

My new 4870x2 is not noticed by my MOBO, Help ????

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

patrick21x

Registered
I just recieved my Visiontek 4870 X2. I pluged in the 6 pin and the 8 pin directly into the card (the 8 pin goes in a little tough but it went in. When i boot it up on my ASUS P5E deluxe, i get one beep followed by 3 more quick beeps ( which means no GPU reconnized) I notice that only 2 1/2 of the led's on the 4870 light up. As if there is not enough power. I tried to take the 4870 out of the pci slot but left the power conected to see if it was getting power and nothing comes on. the only power source it seems to get is from the mobo. Am i doing something wrong. My power supply is an 800 watt bfg. it has two 6 pin plugs and one 8 pin plug and 2 4 pin plugs available. My mobo will accept either an 8 pin or a 4 pin s i used the 8 pin for the mobo. I then used one 6 pin into the 4870. And to run the 8 pin on the 4870 that was left. I used a 4 to 8 pin converter. I cant get my video card to be recongnized. can anyone point me in the right direction. Or explain what i am doing wrong

Power supply specs
http://www.bfgtech.com/bfgr800wpsule.aspx

Try updating the BIOS on your board yet?

I just recently (last night) flashed my p5e deluxed to the 0403 rampage formula bios. when i take out the 4870 and put in a diffrent card. the other will boot and work fine. Its only the 4870 x2 that wont get recognized.

A single 4870 takes 2 x 6-pin leads in order to work.

the 4870 x2 takes one 6pin and one 8pin. I just found out from my PSU tech support that the 8 pin on my power supply is not meant for PCI. So i got a spliter that took a 4 pin into an 8pin and that still does not work

which LED's are lit up? Also do you have means of testing the card in another computer?

There are a total of 5 LED's

Starting from the rear of the card... the 3 led's on the right side are lit. the first two furthest to the right are lit brightly and the middle Led is about half lit as if it is not getting full power.

The lights are saying that the power connectors aren't connected and there is a core issue. Core issue is more or less that something isn't plugged in right. Double make sure that all the plugs are plugged in on everything including the MB. If everything is then i would suggest to RMA the card and or try it in another rig just to make sure.

Could it be that my PSU doesnt have enough Amparage on the 12v rail. I am onlu using one PCI (6 pin) plug and to run the 8 pin on the GPU i am using a 4-8pin converter. Maybe because that 4 pin isnt a PCI exspess plug, it is causing the problem. I guess i could go get a new 1000 PSU just make sure. But i would hate to spend $200 just to find out it asnt the issue. I mean heck, that 800 watt should be enough , but maybe it was more desighned for SLI 6 pin cards like it says

No that psu should have enough amperage 64amps give or take should be more than enough. I'm thinking someone just was over looked and not plugged in. Make sure also that if you're using a 4 to 8 pin connector that BOTH 4 pin pieces are connected not just one.

what do you mean by ( make sure both 4 pins are connected)?

I have an 8 pin that goes directly from power supply into the MOBO. With the asus P5E deluxe, it looks as if i could use a 4 pin or an 8 pin to power the mobo, i figured to use the 8 pin, i only see one spot to power the mobo and hope i havent overlooking one. I then used one of the 4 pins to convert into an 8 pin to run the GPU. I dont know, but i thought I have it hooked up right.

you should be using an 8 pin on the Mobo, on the video card there is a 8 pin and a 6 pin. The mobo 8pin isn't the same as the GFX 8 pin. So use a 6 pin in the 6 pin and use the 2 4 pin molex to 8pin dongle to connect to the video card. I think you've got it hooked up wrong.

your right, i have it hooked up wrong. I Dont have a (2) 4Pin - 8 pin converter, even though the picture on my PSU box shows two 4 pins beeing placed together to form (1) 8Pin. Either that or I can not figure out how to get the two together ( LOL) I am going to just go get an ANTEC 1000 watt PSU today. I hope that solves everything. Ill post my results. Thanks for all the input.

do you think i damaged the GPU by plugging in the 8 pin that was suppose to go to the MOBO and powering it up?

Well i've seen this happen before and people turn out just fine. So I think you'll be just fine. :) Let us know how things turn out :)

Well i ended up purchasing a Silverton Strider 1000 watt PSU that has (2) 8pin PCI plugs and (6) 6pin PCI plugs. I figured i better get one that could run 2 4870x2's just in case

Well after installing the new PSU and conecting the correct 8 Pin plug.

I turned on the power and presto..........

Everything booted right up. I then istalled the catalyst 8.9 drivers and went to reboot. Everything loaded fine but there was still one UNKNOWN object showing up under the hardware monitor with out drivers. I then downloaded the catalyst suite and reinstalled everything again. The windows search ended up finding Audio Drivers for the card.

Now when i click on the device manager (2) 4870X2's show up under display adapters. Is this correct or is is because i installed the display drivers twice ?

Thank you everyone for your input and help in this thread.

no its just says it cause windows recognizes the 2 gpus as 2 vid cards. of course those vid cards it knows are 4870x2 even though there is only one x2 with 2 cores. hope that made sense.

Back