• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

4870x2 GPU clock speed bug fix

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

samsonite789

Registered
For a while, with the 8.8 and 8.9 drivers, I've noticed a strange bug in which CCC displays that GPU#1 on my 4870x2 is at anywhere between 50-300% activity, which of course jumps the temps to iffy levels, even with the fan mod.

However, I've noticed that if you start up a game, it goes back to normal. But if you just want to surf the internet and don't want to load an entire game just to get your card to idle normally, try putting your comp into sleep mode and then waking it up. It takes less time (at least for me) than entering/exiting a game and gets rid of the crazy activity bug.

I notice, however, that it then causes flickering in several games (all source engine games). This flickering was constant when I had the CD drivers installed, but it went away with 8.8 and now 8.9. Strange, then, that it re-appears after sleeping my computer. Anyone know why this is?

Well i would personally do a clean install of the drivers. Use driver cleaner, and reinstall see if that helps.

I have this same issue with textures flickering in games after resuming from sleep state; it goes away after a reboot.

Vista x64
CAT 8.9
4870x2

Disabling Catalyst AI fixes it; but I do not want to turn my x2 into an x1 :[ therefore I reboot.

to fix the GPU activity I use FurMark, its quick and I just set it to benchmark fullscreen for 3s.

Any screenshots of those flickering textures ? Just for extra info.
It can also be about bios. 4870/x2 proved to be problematic from some manufacturers.

Any screenshots of those flickering textures ? Just for extra info.
It can also be about bios. 4870/x2 proved to be problematic from some manufacturers.

This is a bug...I have the same issue and this is even after reflashing my Sapphire to the Asus Top BIOS...

Glock, surprised you still have the issue after the Asus Bios, mine fixed all the issues after the flash and in fact the picture quality has never looked better in Vantage etc even at 850/1100

Back