• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

My friend's rig won't go below 100% memory usage

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Essenar

His specs:
Core 2 Quad 9550
ASUS Rampage Formula
4gb OCZ Reaper DDR2-1066
Visiontek HD4870
Velociraptor
Windows Vista Home Premium X64

Whenever he does something heavily memory intensive, like rendering a file or converting a movie for burning to a DVD. After he's done, the system doesn't down the memory usage. It's stuck at 100%, everything runs choppy and it even takes a long time for him to restart his system.

How do we diagnose what's wrong?

well...... what it does is pre-fetch.... It "watches" what you do regularly - then loads it into memory so whenyou run one of your regular programs, it loads faster...

It hogs your memory yeah, but, if you think about it, if your memory is not being used, what is it there for? At least it is being made use of rather than being left there not being used at all.

You guys don't get it. This isn't a "WHy does this happen in Vista" thread.

This is a, "Something is wrong, help me fix it" thread.

His memory usage is at 100% and his system is slowed to a crawl. CPU usage is reported at 3-5% so it's not his chip. But the memory usage is at 100% and he can't do anything with his system when it gets stuck like that.

You guys don't get it. This isn't a "WHy does this happen in Vista" thread.

This is a, "Something is wrong, help me fix it" thread.

His memory usage is at 100% and his system is slowed to a crawl. CPU usage is reported at 3-5% so it's not his chip. But the memory usage is at 100% and he can't do anything with his system when it gets stuck like that.

Helps if i read the whole post.... sorry.

Is the system overclocked at all?

No, stock settings. I told him to try the 2gb sticks individually to see if one of them is the culprit.

It was running fine a few days ago. This is the second major issue we've had since we built it. The first issue was no video post after installing iTunes.

Try checking task manager. Maybe some process is refusing to close. It would at least point to which process is using all that memory.

Back