• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help build me a gaming rig with my 1900 budget

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Geekier

I want to build a gaming rig; looking to spend about $1,900 on the tower. I already have a monitor. Preferably a harddrive at 7200 rpm and 4gb of ram or greater. Other then that, I would prefer the components being capable of being overclocked. Please help me out building this rig, I want something stable so it wont crash like travis barker's airplane.

Forgive me for quoting but I'm too noob to review your setup on my own:

A couple things right off the bat:

Processor: No need to get the Q9650, the Q9550 OCs like a dream, has the same cache, and is $200 cheaper. I have mine humming along nicely at 3.4ghz, 27ºC idle and 55ºC under load, at 1.275V (within official Intel stock voltage), passes Prime95 and Intel Burn Test however many cycles you like. The ceiling for OC is much, much higher, because this thing can take a lot more voltage than that safely and runs very, very cool. People have easily got this thing up to 3.8-4.0ghz. My plan is to keep it at 3.4ghz because I need 100% stability, and it tickles me to get a 600mhz overclock at stock voltage and such cool temperatures on air

Storage: Your hard drive is kind of a funny choice, did you mean to go with an IDE drive? I'd recommend the WD 640GB, it's incredibly fast. Not as big as that drive, but the performance is amazing and it's SATA. I use two of them and another one in an external enclosure, and I have never had a HDD that performs this well, it's amazing. Plus, seems like people are having problems with that Seagate that you picked, too.

Motherboard: That looks like a nice motherboard, but you could save $50 by going with the motherboard I picked, an Asus P5Q-E. It's got good overclocking features, is stable and gets a decent stream of BIOS updates. I had some RAM compatibility issues before (with RAM that was not on the QVL), but I'm using 8GB (all four slots filled), and I think in retrospect I was undervolting the RAM I was using so that probably had everything to do with it. I replaced it with some RAM that is on the QVL, Geil DDR2 1066 5/5/5/15, which is rated at 2.2-2.4V, and it's getting along just fine at 2.2V with the full 8GB. It seems like a high quality motherboard, and it could save you some cash. Like I said, I'm OC'ing with it just fine. If it is missing some features that yours has and you really need, then disregard this.

Graphics card: I have the same video card. Here's how I reviewed it for NewEgg's reviews thing. I couldn't say "nVidia GeForce 280GTX" because of the silly rules, so I said "the other maker's card" or something to that effect instead. But I mean the 280GTX. I'd like to preface the review by noting that the graphical performance is beyond unreal. It is the most amazing, immersing, detailed, flawlessly powerful graphics card I've ever used. I have no complaints about it in its intended function. My concerns are a bit more abstract, as you will read.

Pros

* This is the fastest single-slot card you can purchase today, faster than the other maker's best in most settings.
* Cheaper than two of its component GPUs in Crossfire
* 2GB of GDDR5 means that you will always, under any circumstance, have sufficient VRAM for your resolution and AA/AF preferences.
* Excellent video quality in every application, from games to Blu-Ray DVDs, and HD features are great (including audio passthrough).
* Does not suffer from the odd fan speed issue of the regular 4870s - the fans on this beast keep it below 50ºC idle, and I've never seen it get above 65-67ºC at load.
* Good driver support in general means that you can actually take advantage of the dual GPUs in nearly every game
* Official software suite is nice - Catalyst Control Center does everything from custom application settings, to global driver-forced 3D settings, to video color correction, to thorough overclocking configuration. Hydravision is an excellent multiple monitor utility, too.

Cons:

* High price premium
* Though it is better than the other top card, the difference is in some cases remarkably small or nonexistent, and in any event isn't going to be apparent in any but the most demanding conditions - 1600x1200 and above resolutions with plenty of AA and AF and all gaming options to the max. And some games run better on the other (not most, but some).
* Does not always beat two individual 4870s in Crossfire.
* Mammoth and extremely power-hungry, though that's par for the course in high-end graphics cards.
* The dual-GPU means that until drivers are released to support a hot new game, it will only run on one of the GPUs, reducing your monster card to the (still formidable, but not what you bought) regular 4870. The single-GPU other top card has its performance on release day.

Other Thoughts: It is probably apparent from my review that I am not 100% convinced I made the right choice in getting this card. That isn't to say that I'm not totally thrilled with its performance. In fact, its been an amazing card, and has played everything I've thrown at it with literally zero graphical hiccups. The image quality is beautiful, its AA modes are great and allow you to carefully pinpoint where you want your visual quality to be. It is beastly powerful.

But the "other" is cheaper, now, and is a single-GPU solution that will have 100% of its performance on the day of a game's release or if the game isn't SLI/Xfire friendly.

This is the best, but is it the best value? Is it the best technology? It's almost a brute-force approach, doubling the power by adding another core instead of making a new architecture. But then, ATI designed it that way, and it lets them dominate the market at all levels, one way or another... for this product cycle.

-----

The NewEgg review format's space limitations meant that I had to pick my pros and cons pretty carefully to get what I felt were the important ones. If I had the space, I would have added the concern that 2GB of VRAM is really a bit absurd. I haven't done the math, but when are you going to play at a resolution where 2GB of VRAM is helpful? Benchmarks show literally no benefit to this larger VRAM number over two 4870s in Crossfire, which have a total of 1GB of VRAM between them. There is NO benefit at all, even at the highest resolutions with AA/AF. Add to that my current problem - if you're dual-booting XP or another 32-bit OS, the 2GB of VRAM becomes a real problem since it reduces you to 1 gig, 1.5 at the most, of system RAM used for your programs.

Another thing - the Drivers situation seems to be fine, really, with ATI having released another driver update just last week. I don't know how much of an issue that is, practically, but it is a concern of mine.

get 2 sata's and raid them - if your gonna get all that power and a slow HDD your wasting so much potential. You have the dosh, why not!

Double the speed and no space loss. You cant lose.

get 2 sata's and raid them - if your gonna get all that power and a slow HDD your wasting so much potential. You have the dosh, why not!

ya you can't lose...
...until the RAID fails lol

Not exactly. There is a bit of overhead so the its not double the speed but certainly a major difference. Then there is the reliablity factor, not everyone is comfortable with it, but IMHO I like it.

My take:
Q9550
P5Q Deluxe (Since no crossfire go with the P45 over X38/48)
Velociraptor 150Gb version for OS/Apps/Games
1TB WD Storage
G.Skill 2x2GB PC8000
4870X2
Corsair 750TX
Xigamatek S1283 + bolt thru kit
CM Cosmos
Vista 64 HP OEM

$18990.90
-you won't get much change but would be a nice set-up.

What is your resolution? Depending on what it is you could drastically cut down on the CPU and GPU. You could also go with a dual core and not lose much in gaming but I like a quad for all around system performance, i.e. multi-tasking and encoding.

raid 0 , why not you can afford it just DONT use it for anything important.....

i dont think raid 0 fail as much as people want you to beleive, love to see how many people have posted on OCF in the last year with failed raid 0 vs people still running them...

Not exactly. There is a bit of overhead so the its not double the speed but certainly a major difference. Then there is the reliablity factor, not everyone is comfortable with it, but IMHO I like it.

My take:
Q9550
P5Q Deluxe (Since no crossfire go with the P45 over X38/48)
Velociraptor 150Gb version for OS/Apps/Games
1TB WD Storage
G.Skill 2x2GB PC8000
4870X2
Corsair 750TX
Xigamatek S1283 + bolt thru kit
CM Cosmos
Vista 64 HP OEM

$18990.90
-you won't get much change but would be a nice set-up.

What is your resolution? Depending on what it is you could drastically cut down on the CPU and GPU. You could also go with a dual core and not lose much in gaming but I like a quad for all around system performance, i.e. multi-tasking and encoding.

That setup is something I really like, especially the case. Thanks a lot for doing that, I should've specified in my last post I was hoping to try and use a duo core 2 instead of a quad core, unless someone has a very good reason otherwise. I'm just not trying to futureproof my rig.

As for my resolution, I haven't had any use for the monitor so I haven't checked. It's a dell 2007WFPb and according to google default resolution is 1680x1050. Does that help?

Sure does. For that resolution you do not need anything major. A 4850/4870/GTX 260 would all be fine. You could then drop the PSU down to the 500W level, I would recommend the Corsair 520HX. A 4870X2 or GTX 280 would be complete and utter overkill. If you have intentions of getting a larger monitor in the near future you could easily drop in a second 4850/4870 and be good to go, but may want to consider a slightly larger PSU(the 620HX seems natural).

For CPU a dual core is fine. Go with any of the E8400/8500/8600. Just make sure you get an E0 stepping. Two ways to do that. One is get an E8600 and the other is to order from a site such as tankguys.com that will guarantee a stepping.

Okay I spent a major part of today putting this together: https://secure.newegg.com/WishList/MySavedWishDetail.aspx?ID=7221985

I'm pretty happy with most of those parts and it was a lot cheaper then I was expecting.

My only concern is if that should I stick to that MOBO and if I should use different RAM, what do you guys think?

Other then that though - I think all that's left is to pick out a dvd burner and head to checkout.

Okay I spent a major part of today putting this together: https://secure.newegg.com/WishList/MySavedWishDetail.aspx?ID=7221985

I'm pretty happy with most of those parts and it was a lot cheaper then I was expecting.

My only concern is if that should I stick to that MOBO and if I should use different RAM, what do you guys think?

Other then that though - I think all that's left is to pick out a dvd burner and head to checkout.

That set-up is fine. You could drop the PSU down to the 550 model and still be very comfortable. If you really want more breathing room you could do the 650 but the 750 is just overkill.

The motherboard is fine. I prefer Asus mainly due to the BIOS and I am very comfortable with them. The Gigabytes are very capable and will clock well.

For the ram I really think the G.Skills are the way to go, only another $6 for another 100Mhz of speed. Yeah chances are you won't use it but for the money I think it is worth it.

Thanks man, you mind finding a link to what specific ram you're talking about that'd be a better suit for me? I'd really appreciate it, I'm getting good help here.

I put everything together today (same build as in post #11) . Upon startup system will not POST and it'll sit for 4-5 seconds and then the CPU fan gets really fast and then slows down, then that repeats once more and then the system shuts off completely for about 3 seconds and then comes back on and repeats the above process. Anyone know what's wrong with this?

I put everything together today (same build as in post #11) . Upon startup system will not POST and it'll sit for 4-5 seconds and then the CPU fan gets really fast and then slows down, then that repeats once more and then the system shuts off completely for about 3 seconds and then comes back on and repeats the above process. Anyone know what's wrong with this?

First go back and double and then triple check all the connections. You did use the motherboard standoff's right? Make sure nothing else is shorting the motherboard out. Then disconnect everything except one stick on memory, CPU, and video card. Listen for beep codes or look at LCD readout codes, if so equipped to see if you get any errors. If so look them up and go from there. Do you have any access to other parts to test with?

Back