• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Recommened Gaming 5.1 Headset w/ Mic?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

deathman20

High Speed Premium Senior
Anyone have a recommended set of headsets with mic and 5.1 audio? Been trying to find one and finally decided to go for it now that my temparary $20 headset took a crap and it hurts like hell after a while. My 5.1 speaker system is starting to go needs a cable re-wiring to make it work again basically (to many plugs and unplugs probably broke the wire). Anyways wanted something that gives a good sound, not horribly expensive (looking at ~$100) that as well has mic attached to it.

This is something I'd like to use on my PC and my Xbox360. Reason for this is with a little baby that will be sleeping next door to my office currently, I don't want to use my speakers. And currently I rarely use my speakers since im next to a bedroom next door so being sensable and keeping it down. I'd like to enjoy some audio, maybe it will be a reason to figure out a way to get a dedicated audio card back in my system.

Anyways from looking around I found these over at newegg.

TRITTON AX360 Coaxial & Fiber Optic Circumaural True 5.1 Digital Audio Gaming Headset
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16826235001
Getting half way decent reviews over there so far. Still complaints on the quality of audio.

RAZER Barracuda HP-1 Razer HD-DAI(High Definition-Dedicated Audio Interface) Connector Circumaural Gaming Headphones
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16826153002
Downside with these people seem to be complaining that they are breaking or fall apart, and mic is iffy.

Anyone have more suggestions on this?

Last edited:
Oh yeah, comfort too, if I have to go a little more than what I stated so be it but don't want to truely blow the bank with it. At work and when I travel I got some comfortable Sony Nise Canceling Headphones (MDR-NC6). They work great for me personally with music and drowning out noises at work, but want something more for my gaming.

http://techgage.com/article/speedlink_medusa_51_and_sennheiser_hd555/

I bought this nearly two years and I love it. They have come down a bit in price if you can still find them but the amp that comes with them is amazing. It comes with a plethora of audio cables for every kind of occasion. Right now I have the amp hooked into my Logitech z300e, with one end connected to my computer and the other connected to my laptop as I tend to switch between the two at the current moment. With just the flick of either button I can either switch between the speakers and the headphones or switch between the computer and laptop for sound.

The speaker quality is excellent for gaming, the volume goes up pretty high on the headphones as well which is important as it is an open headphone design. They are not the best for music but they are adequate. The mic quality is just fine.

Im guessing you where talking about the Medusa 5.1 Home Edition. Only found 1 spot with those online :/ Ebay. I'll have to do some searches thx for the suggestion.

Another one I came across was the Sennheiser PC 350 finding that anywhere from $113-140ish for lowest prices.

Razer is coming out with a new gaming headset, the 'Megalodon'. If you're going to buy Razer I'd wait for that.

P.S. Carcharodon Megalodon is the name of a gigantic prehistoric shark, the ancestor of the Great White. Think 50 feet long with ten inch teeth!

Razer is coming out with a new gaming headset, the 'Megalodon'. If you're going to buy Razer I'd wait for that.

P.S. Carcharodon Megalodon is the name of a gigantic prehistoric shark, the ancestor of the Great White. Think 50 feet long with ten inch teeth!

Hmmm, is Razer headsets usually really good quality? Only reason why I ask is because of the ones currently out that people where giving it a 50/50ish on personal reviews. I know that doesn't say much but still.

Any word on price?

Hmmm, is Razer headsets usually really good quality? Only reason why I ask is because of the ones currently out that people where giving it a 50/50ish on personal reviews. I know that doesn't say much but still.

Any word on price?

They're supposed to be $149. Razer stuff is usually good quality, if overpriced. I don't own the Barracudas.

Your best option is buying quality headphones from the headphone sticky and a separate mic.

Back