• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

noob to wc, questions about expectations

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

mattgmann

hey all,

thanks in advance for any help.

I've been considering adding a wc loop to my system, and I'd like to know how much of an improvement I can realistically expect over air.

current setup is as follows

q6600 @3.6ghz(450x8) cooled by xigmatek s1283
4870 w/mild oc (intentions on cf'n a second in the near future)
p5q-e mobo
4x2gb ocz platinum 800
thermaltake toughpower 650W (looking to upgrade)

I plan on cooling both the cpu, and gpu, with intentions of adding a second gpu. I'm using an nzxt tempest case, and would plan on mounting a 2x120 rad inside, and a 3x120 rad on the back. My upgrade path includes adding a second 4870, better psu, and a q9550(or 9650 $$?). Right now the cpu loads out at ~60-65c. I can run this q6600 @3.8ghz, but the heat is a little much, and need to overvolt to 1.53v(though I think I can tweak it down to 1.5).

Anyway, it's been a long time since I messed with wc. Assuming I use the best (for cost) blocks and rads,what kind of load temps do you think I can reasonably expect?

Also, is one mcp-655 enough to handle 2 rads, 2x gpu, and a cpu block (and maybe northbride in the future)?

These are my next upgrade options (not necessarily in this order, and spaced a few months apart)
1. wc system
2. 2nd 4870 +new psu
3. new cpu

So, water cool, or not?

Well, yea two loops. One for CPU/NB on a 120x2 rad, a 120x3 for the GPU's. Two pumps, res etc. You can save some $ by not going FC on the GPU's.

Still looking at $300 for the CPU/NB, another $350 or so for the GPU's (both)

If you really want the best, full cover for both GPU's and the best rads, compression fittings, super hose, expensive fans, add another $200+.

1. thanks for the help, but what i'm really trying to find out, is what kind of a gain in cooling performance to expect.

2. I'm willing to pay for performance (to a point), so I'm not terribly worried about price. But, running 2 loops in this case might be tight. Is there a better pump that can handle a loop of that size? Is running 2 pumps in a single loop possible?

Also, NB cooling may not ever be necessary. I've tested it to 500mhz fsb, and the heat isn't bad. I just added that in as a "maybe one day" clause.

I'm trying to do this right. I really don't want to build a wc setup, only to find I did better with air.

i pretty much am going your route. right now i only have my cpu cooled on a swiftech triple rad and right now load temps are 39C. i would like to add a gpu block to my 9800GTX but don't wanna mess with my sweet load temp on my quad. so i think i will add a second triple and block to the current loop. i know the pump can handle it. its a swiftech MCP655 or also known as a laing D5. so as far as pumps i would go with that one for the MCP355 also known as a Laing DDC. its smaller but from what i read does the same thing, its specs are close. it has 3.8" barbs but the top can be swapped out to many different after market tops with only help it in performance.

If you really want the best, full cover for both GPU's and the best rads, compression fittings, super hose, expensive fans, add another $200+.

So a full cover block will cool the GPU core better than a GPU-only block, like the GFX2/MCW60?

So a full cover block will cool the GPU core better than a GPU-only block, like the GFX2/MCW60?
I'd have to see some test results before I believed that!

And speakig of expectations, you need to start looking a t stuff like this. There's plenty of test data available for making predictions and choosing parts in numerous other places. Just hunt it down.

I love martin's testing though it's rather limited. What impressed me was his comparison between the well known radiators, like the mcr320, pa120.3, TFC and hardwarelab series. The debate on mcr320 vs pa120.3 has finally been cleared up!

Does anyone know the temp difference of the GPU core when you use full cover and mcw60 revision 1?

Back