• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Vista x64-bit utilizing 3GB of 4GB installed.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

LogRus

Hey OC fellows!

I've got a Vista x64-bit patched up with all latest updates as well as SP1 and it utilizes only 3GB out of 4GB's installed. Even during POST BIOS reports 4GB installed!

At first (before SP1), it would only show 3GB in "Computer's" Properties, after the SP1 update, it shows 4GB there, but Task Manager still shows that it only utilizes 3GB :(

I've checked out another computer with 4GB and Vista x64-bit and it utilized all 4GB in the Task Manger... Any ideas?

3gbou5.jpg

Note the amount of "Total" memory shown.

System specs:
ECS 671T-M (Latest BIOS)
Q6600
G.Skill 4GB
500GB HDD
8800GT

Thanks!

Yes, enable memory remapping in bios :)

bios setting called something like memory mapping or something of the sort.

No such thing in the BIOS... :(... and I looked in there all over the place. And BIOS DOES show 4GB, and Vista x64 shows all 4 GB's when you go to My Computer > Properties, but Task Manager would only utilize 4GB :(... :shrug:

Start | Type msconfig in the Start Search field , and click OK | "BOOT" tab | "Advanced Options" button | In the Advanced Options window make certain that the checkbox for Maximum memory is clear, and that there is no value entered in the data box for this line.

Start | Type msconfig in the Start Search field , and click OK | "BOOT" tab | "Advanced Options" button | In the Advanced Options window make certain that the checkbox for Maximum memory is clear, and that there is no value entered in the data box for this line.

I was hoping that'll work... but even when I put a checkmark there to see if I can max it out.. it cap's at 3072 :(...

Very nice suggestion though.. could use it at work :p

Maybe there is an error somewhere in windows? Your "FREE" physical memory is showing 0 even though you should still have about 1.5gb free.

Have you tried running 2 instances of Prime95 or something of the sort and checked to see if the process' are utilizing all your ram?

Maybe there is an error somewhere in windows? Your "FREE" physical memory is showing 0 even though you should still have about 1.5gb free.

Vista will use all of the memory for caching. I'm generally not at 0, but pretty close, 10-20mb free.

After a bit of research...

Its possible a BIOS update will fix your problem..

Update Description-----Fix memory size will show 3702mb with PCI VGA Card & 4GB RAM are plugged at the same time
-Update new CPU ucode

http://www.ecs.com.tw/ECSWebSite/Pr...ategoryID=1&DetailName=Bios&MenuID=44&LanID=0

I'd also like to mention that you might get a bit of a boost in performance if you switch to an intel based chipset that has dual channel memory. That sis chipset runs with only single channel memory.

Like Trap05 mentioned, the problem is likely due to the SiS 671 chipset limitations, unless the BIOS update TheCheat linked you to adds the memory remapping feature. I know you mentioned that the amount of RAM as shown in System Information is correct, but you may still want to check out this MSKB article...

For Windows Vista to use all 4 GB of memory on a computer that has 4 GB of memory installed, the computer must meet the following requirements:

• The chipset must support at least 8 GB of address space. Chipsets that have this capability include the following:
• Intel 975X
• Intel P965
• Intel 955X on Socket 775
• Chipsets that support AMD processors that use socket F, socket 940, socket 939, or socket AM2. These chipsets include any AMD socket and CPU combination in which the memory controller resides in the CPU.
• The CPU must support the x64 instruction set. The AMD64 CPU and the Intel EM64T CPU support this instruction set.
• The BIOS must support the memory remapping feature. The memory remapping feature allows for the segment of system memory that was previously overwritten by the Peripheral Component Interconnect (PCI) configuration space to be remapped above the 4 GB address line. This feature must be enabled in the BIOS configuration utility on the computer. View your computer product documentation for instructions that explain how to enable this feature. Many consumer-oriented computers may not support the memory remapping feature. No standard terminology is used in documentation or in BIOS configuration utilities for this feature. Therefore, you may have to read the descriptions of the various BIOS configuration settings that are available to determine whether any of the settings enable the memory remapping feature.
• An x64 (64-bit) version of Windows Vista must be used.

The system memory that is reported in the System Information dialog box in Windows Vista is less than you expect if 4 GB of RAM is installed

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929605

Yep, I've got that latest BIOS for the mobo... and yep.. ECS + SiS chipset does suck ;)
But I didn't do much gaming for a while so I was 'ok' with it for some time...

Very nice KB article find redduc900, definitely looks like something I'm experienceing.

Thanks a ton guys!

Since I've been out of the loop for quite a bit, any suggestion for a good motherboard atm? Or should I wait for something new?

Do you want something with onboard video or do you have a PCI-E videocard?

No onboard is fine. I've got an 8800GT to play with :)

I was checking out some P5Q and P5E motherboards (ASUS), but isn't there a new chipset coming out sometime soon?

budget?

Socket 775 isn't getting any new chipset x48 is the last one, the new chipset x58 is for intel's new socket.

its called something else in your BIOS. hang on. ill get my BIOS book out.

EDIT: ah. Its called the same thing. "Memory Remap Feature" in ADVANCED -> CHIPSET

Last edited:
budget?

Socket 775 isn't getting any new chipset x48 is the last one, the new chipset x58 is for intel's new socket.

Around $150 is my budget atm. And I just came accross this deal:

ASUS P5Q Pro for $100 AR on NewEgg.com

Any thoughts? I was thinking of maybe going SLI, but after looking at many gaming benchmarks, games are STILL Not fully optimized for it... (what gives?)

Also, how soon the new chipset comes out?...

Warren G said:
i get the same issue, not sure what the problem is...

Still have the problem..?

SLI isnt need unless your getting a 24' monitor - 1920+ res or something.

new chipsets = new socket for intel, and for good prices.. i would say early / mid 2009.

if you need a new mobo i just goit the p5Q, will be opening it tonight i hope.. most any p35/38/45/48 based mobo will do you just fine!

Back