• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Another Q6600 OC Thread!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

influxrye

Registered
Hi, feel a bit silly posting this after seeing how many similar threads there are, but im baffled!

Ive had a couple of attempts at oc'ing, but this one has me stumped. Its a Q6600 on a G33M-DS2R matx mb, ive tried lots of combinations of settings and such, and ive had it posting up to 3.4ghz, but it never sticks always reboots back to stock fsb, even at 2.6ghz! What im really after is 3ghz, got lots of ideas from the forums, but im wondering if someone can truely clear up where im going wrong.

For 3ghz at the moment im using 9x333mhz. I dont have much control over memory timings, so they're set on auto which brings it out at 1125mhz. Voltages are recomended to be set to auto, which controls them all, but still doesnt work, so in manual ive set DDR2 overvoltage to +0.2v (=2v recomended for ram) FSB overvoltage ive left at normal, MCH overvoltage again at normal, then VCORE ive gone through 1.25v to 1.45 with no results. As i said it'll post, but then just reboot! Arrrgghhh

Specs are:

Q6600 (G0)
Gigabyte GA-G33M-DS2R
2x 2gb OCZ DDR2 PC2-6400 Platinum Dual Channel (4gb total)
Palit GeForce 8600GT Super+1GB
Corsair CMPSU-650TX

Hope that all made sense, and id appreciate any help! :D

Cheers,
Rye

Try dropping the FSB : DRAM multiplier to get the RAM to run closer to its spec of 400mhz (ddr2-800).

Edit: Also, your ram is rated at 2.1 volts, even though it is a small difference it may help.

Edit 2: Make sure your PCI and PCI-E frequencies are locked as well

I think your problem is in the ram settings. First you have to get the ram speed down. If my memory serves one of the weaknesses of that board is the ram dividers available. Find something that gets you closer to 800 as Italidonian said. I seriously doubt you are going to get that memory stable at that speed, certainly not at that voltage. Even if you have to run it slower than 800 it will allow you to isolate your problem. Also do you have a HSF? If not heat is going to be an issue at anything over 3.0 depending on your ambients.

^ +1

2.1 volts means that DDR2 overvoltage should be +0.3v

Also, look for a RAM divider that lowers DDR2 frequency. Hitting CTRL+F1 at the main BIOS screen before you go into the motherboard intelligent tweaking page or something might unlock a few options too.

You're looking for something along the lines of 2.0D or 2.0B

Try making it to 9x333 at 2.0B before experimenting further, because getting to 3ghz usually involves only tweaking vcore by a few notches.

Thanks for the replys guys. 2.1v it is!

I know what you mean about there being very few ram dividers, but i think i can get it to around 667 or 833??? Should i bother trying to change the ram timings in the advanced settings?

Oh and i have locked my pci settings to 100mhz?

Cheers,
rye

Also do you have a HSF? If not heat is going to be an issue at anything over 3.0 depending on your ambients.

Yes i have a Scythe Mini Ninja, has to be small as i have the Aerocool M50 Cube Case. It is kept in cupboard though, so the ambient temps do creep up, average temps in speedfan whilst testing with prime95 were about 55-60c @ 2.4ghz.

Cheers,

Rye

Try the ram at 833 as it would only push the RAM very little.

If the temps are already that high at stock speed, you will have problems reaching 3.4Ghz for 24/7 usage. Even 3Ghz would put out quite a bit of heat.

Try the ram at 833 as it would only push the RAM very little.

If the temps are already that high at stock speed, you will have problems reaching 3.4Ghz for 24/7 usage. Even 3Ghz would put out quite a bit of heat.

Just failed at both 833mhz and 667mhz.

I must add that since i ran those temps, i have added 2 extra Xilence Redwing 80mm fans (3 in total, split case, 1 on top tier, 2 on bottom) and replaced the stock case fan with another 120mm Redwing, but i havnt re-ran tests.

Thought i'd show you exactly what im up to....

Various031.jpg

Various035.jpg

Do the most recent settings stick?
Settings look decent, except you're probably feeding the northbridge too much for just 3.0 (I use +.075 for 3.6ghz and 4 sticks of RAM)

The GTLREF1 is standard, lowest possible too, but no, i havnt ran memtest, gonna have look into it now!

Those dont stick, its posts for a split second though.

@mdamda is that the (G)MCH Overvoltage +0.1v?

yes, it's the MCH overvoltage.

Seems like a board quirk if settings still won't stick at any overclock setting.

Try running the PCIE at 101. Also, are you using the latest BIOS?

I'll give memtest86 a go, although the 86 part... does it matter that im running Vista Ult 64? Probs shoulda mentiond it earlier...oops!

Will try it tomorrow along with the pci tweak, but im gonna have to call it a night (its 3am here!) thanks verymuch guys, really appreciate it!

Rye

As far as I know, the newer versions will support 4gb. Better to use the ones that create bootable CDs rather than those that test in windows itself.

OK, will do!

By the way the bios is the F8e Version, there is F8j available now, still a beta though, but ill give it a try none the less.

Hmmm, got the new bios (F8J) installed, ran memtest86+ for 2hours... no errors. Went back, dialled in the settings for 3.0ghz, rebooted, it posts............. then reboots! Bugger!

Think ive got a faulty board? Or is this board just that damn touchy?

Rye

Back