• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Saving IP configs in Vista

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Socket eh?

Is there any way to save multiple IP configs in Vista, so that I don't have manually punch them in every time I connect to a new network?

I move from home to two different places of work, and all use the hard line, so I have to constantly punch in the same IP configs and it's really annoying.

its just like accessing your network connections :) but the thing here is in wireless you might have problems in connecting to networks.

I'm gonna bump this up, because I still can't figure out how to do it. I go to the network sharing center and I see nothing to help.

I don't understand because if you add a network connection to your computer and type in the IP doesn't it stay saved until you manually delete it?

he wants multiple ones,

go to control panel
/ network center
/ left side --> manage network connections
/ right click your connection --> properties
/ TCP/IP 4 --> properties
/ alternate configuration

Not doubting ur instructions but wouldnt he just have to save multiple network connections many times once?

you cant save many ones, you can, from what i see, only enter in 2 possible connections and even then you need to choose which one to use and when.

Do none of these networks use DHCP? so you dont have to enter in any info...

I'm not having any network connection problems myself I'm just asking. Wow that's very werid that you can't save multiple connections like that.

Last edited:
you cant save many ones, you can, from what i see, only enter in 2 possible connections and even then you need to choose which one to use and when.

Do none of these networks use DHCP? so you dont have to enter in any info...

I wish. I'm in Korea and the networking is very different. They have the domains all jumbled and it's just brutal. It wouldn't be such a pain, but I teach at a University during the week, then at a high school on Fridays. They have completely different configs, so I have to manually change it when I switch to use the internet.

I just started using wireless at home because it's easier.

ahh likely using proxies and stuff, ya, so manually setting is the only way :( i cant seem to find any ways to save more then 1 alternate config :(

You should be able to use the netsh.exe utility that comes with Vista (you can type netsh /? at the command prompt for a list of available switches). First save the current settings: netsh -c interface dump >netsetting.txt

You can then create a dump file for every network configuration that you use. To load a specific setting: netsh -f netsetting.txt

In this way you can easily switch between different configs.

You should be able to use the netsh.exe utility that comes with Vista (you can type netsh /? at the command prompt for a list of available switches). First save the current settings: netsh -c interface dump >netsetting.txt

You can then create a dump file for every network configuration that you use. To load a specific setting: netsh -f netsetting.txt

In this way you can easily switch between different configs.

Can this be used in a batch file? So I can just have 3 separate icons to click and change it?

Back