• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Internal vs External

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

SeanBest

Ok, just bought a 80GB WD Caviar. Going to use it solely for a few Linux distros I wanna play with. Will I egt the same speed if I use it internally via SATA or externally via eSATA? I ahve an eSATA port on the rear of my motherboard. Figured getting a cheap enclosure and using eSata would be nice just because I could take it with me obviously...

Thanks!

eSATA is surprisingly fast compard to USB2 and I don't think you would be disappointed in the speed. Doing backups externally I bought a few eSATA brackets because I liked the speed boost.

Yeah, I have a Seagate Freeagent Pro hooked up to a cheapo eSATA express card, and according to hdtune it averages 20-30mb faster transfer speed then the 300gb seagate (I think its a 7200.10 series) in my desktop, so yeah, they are pretty fast.

I picked up an Antec MX-1 for use with my laptop and absolutely love it. Actively cooled, quiet, looks good, USB and eSATA, all for $35 from amazon. It is a great buy.

I'm considering getting an external hard drive for my laptop. I will mostly be using it for backup, but since I have a new DSLR I have a lot of new 12mb+ RAW images to transfer. I have an XPS M1530 (in sig), so I don't have an eSATA port on the computer. Would an eSATA express card bottleneck the speed of a 3GB/s hard drive? If the express card will limit the transfer speeds, then I'll just get a small 2.5 inch portable hard drive. But... if the express card will be significantly faster, then I'll buy an HD, enclosure, and a eSATA express card. Anyone know the average transfer rate of a hard drive through an express card?

Back