• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

need help finding replacement internal wifi card

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
it's hard to say, all the spec's from HP keep saying mini PCI, which is not the same as mini PCI-E. Then if you look at their documentation for changing it, they show a mini card, which is not the same as mini pci-e or mini pci.

http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c01035677.pdf

I think the best bet is to actually open the laptop and remove the card.

If you want a real N connection, you will need to mod a third antenna cable.

wow thanks for that pdf. i was looking all over for something like that.

and according to HPs parts website, its MINI PCI :)

which means I shouldnt have any problems, as long as I dont get one with crappy drivers lol

and the hard drive is listed as 1.5gbps, could i use a 3gbps in there without a problem?

Last edited:
You shouldn't have any problems using 3.0Gbps drive, though don't expect any massive gains from it.

I can't say I've ever seen a mini PCI go in the same way they show in the diagram, that's why I'm thinking removing the card first to verify.

Go with Intel if possible, that's a safe bet, never ever had any problems with their wireless cards. Atheros, on the other hand, has given me a few here and there though nothing major.

You could try and find the original HP part number for the N-card that comes with that laptop (if there is one) and search for the part number. My old laptop didn't have internal wifi, so I found the part number for the OEM wifi card, searched it on ebay, and found it. The worst part was since there was no internal wifi in the laptop to begin with, I also had to install the antennas.

If I'm not mistaken, Mini PCI is Mini PCI. It doesn't matter what model the original manufacturer offers, you can install any Mini PCI card into any Mini PCI slot in any Laptop that has one. Although, I suppose an original manufacturers part will almost certainly work with zero conflicts.

Here's a wireless N card I found with a quick search on the Google:
Netegriti Wireless N Mini PCI card

However, wireless N uses 3 antennas, meaning "3 x SMT Ultra-miniature coaxial connectors" (<- from the site). These connectors are standard in laptops that have separate antennas. If your laptop was not originally equipped with those 3 antennas, you may not get the performance you'd like out of a wireless N card. The card I linked to seems to indicate it has no integrated antenna itself and would rely on what is built into the laptop (which appears to be consistent after looking at others).

So, if you're brave, just go pick out any old (or not so old) Mini PCI wireless N card. Get the drivers from the manufacturer and hook up the antennas you've got. You can always buy laptop antennas and ghetto rig them in.

Back