• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Video Card Overheating or does Windows XP Suck?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Asusrocks

Registered
My Setup :

Asus P5k Deluxe
C2D E8400
Geforce 8800GTS 320mb
4gb ocz 800mhz ram
Windows XP Professional x32

Problem = Ive been running The Sims 2 game lately, which is a very basic game, and while in the game i would randomly get object changes. Like a certain color would stretch or an object or mix with another object..it is really odd. Today, logging out of the game, it did not log out but instead it went to the middle black screen and stayed there (Forced me to shutdown).

When i logged into windows again i went to see my temps in the Control panel and they were at 150 Degrees with the fan on 60%(Which i cant keep on high!). IT seemed pretty high so i was figureing it was a problem thats heat related. Usually i would restart the comp, the game, and it would give me a smooth gameplay for half hour before the problems start happening again.

Can Someone help me in this issue? thankx

150 C or F?

If its 150C, then thats WAY too hot. You should try to reseat the HS on the card as it may not be contacting the GPU as it should be.

Its at 150 F, my CPU temps are around 110 F, is that a cooling issue?

I assume that is idle temps? We use celcius temps here for the most part, so its more helpful to post with celcius.

150f = 65c
110f - 43c

So the GPU is a tad warm if thats idle, the CPU is fine for idle temps

Just to be sure please post your idle/load temps for the GPU and CPU.

i used to idle at 65c on my old 8600gts and it didnt have any problems, you can edit the bios to make the fan speed go higher though

Those temps are fine, I would look into other areas instead of temps. Those temps are what its made to run @. Maybe the card itself might be on it way out (GTS 320's really didn't have a long life on avg.)...Have you tried to OC it or OC the CPU, RAM?

Those temps are fine, I would look into other areas instead of temps. Those temps are what its made to run @. Maybe the card itself might be on it way out (GTS 320's really didn't have a long life on avg.)...Have you tried to OC it or OC the CPU, RAM?

Ok because my case has one 120mm Intake and 2 120mm exhaust fans, im thinking of adding another intake fan soon, so i dont think heat is the problem exactly. Yea the Color mixings are happening in other games too, happens more on certain other games. Im guessing theres a fault in the Video Card...could someone suggest a program to stress test my GPU for at least an hour? I wanna get to the specified problem, its irritating to reinstall windows xp becuz of a certain unstability! Either that or im going Linux :p

I am overclocked to 1600 FSB and 1:1 with the Ram @ 800mhz, CPU is @ 8x Multi = 3,200 mhz, I did not change any of the Voltages, there all on Auto. I hope its not an overclock problem, i recently overclocked from stock of 3ghz ,Plus i had the build for 5 Monthes now, the recent graphics probem is da only arised problem. This system has been stable with me ever since my build :)

Last edited:
Heat is not the problem.

If its an older card or you have been overclocking... it could just be damaged hardware.. or (especially with overclocking) a garbled OS.

First thing to try is removing drivers, running driver cleaner and then reinstalling new drivers.

chkdsk is also a good idea. If you have a bunch of recovered files after running it, either find a stable OC or get a new HDD. Can really be either... When OCIng though that is usually the culprit.

Actually for a 8800 those temps look damn good to me. 90C was not unheard of IIRC (I only ran 8800s for about 3 weeks though just too many problems with them for me)

Heat is not the problem.

If its an older card or you have been overclocking... it could just be damaged hardware.. or (especially with overclocking) a garbled OS.

First thing to try is removing drivers, running driver cleaner and then reinstalling new drivers.

chkdsk is also a good idea. If you have a bunch of recovered files after running it, either find a stable OC or get a new HDD. Can really be either... When OCIng though that is usually the culprit.

Actually for a 8800 those temps look damn good to me. 90C was not unheard of IIRC (I only ran 8800s for about 3 weeks though just too many problems with them for me)

I ran chkdsk and it reported the Volume as Clean. What do you mean by a garbled OS? the OS is about 4 monthes old and ive been keeping it clean with regular maintenance, so i don't expect XP to be acting up since i only install programs that i use.

Why do you think its required to uninstall drivers and Reinstall the Latest ones? all the drivers are up to date the last time i checked.

What problems have you had with the 8800's?? Id like to know if other people are having these problems too, cuz im ready to replace this card with an ATI radeon or something.

Oh and for the note, my motherboard supports ATI Crossfire, so does that mean it runs better with ATI's then Nvidia's??

What I ment was did you OC the card...I guess you didn't. I doubt that drivers or any software is related (could be wrong, but doubt it). (not to insult) but have you made sure the connection of the DVI is seated well into the female prt of the card? or moniter?....if it's just a tad loose it can cause colour distortions. What type of display are you useing...is it old?

I would hate to say the card had a shorter life than expected....but it sounds very possible, since those cards on the most part weren't very well built (i'm speaking from expereince). The 8800gt/gts 512's were better built because they learned what not to do from the 8800GTS 640/320's core, ramchips, cooling etc.

If you can come up with just a 120 bucks give or take, you could replace it with a 8800gt or 9600 which will walk all over that current gpu, or if you want, goto ATI. Your choice.

I still wonder about the GPU temps. In the op, the temps were at 150F with the fan at 60% after rebooting into XP... I would max out the GPU fan with RivaTuner. http://www.majorgeeks.com/download737.html

It is free, and would most likely eliminate the possibility of temps being an issue. The OP might want to check for dust buildup in the GPU heatsink.

I ran chkdsk and it reported the Volume as Clean. What do you mean by a garbled OS? the OS is about 4 monthes old and ive been keeping it clean with regular maintenance, so i don't expect XP to be acting up since i only install programs that i use.

Why do you think its required to uninstall drivers and Reinstall the Latest ones? all the drivers are up to date the last time i checked.

What problems have you had with the 8800's?? Id like to know if other people are having these problems too, cuz im ready to replace this card with an ATI radeon or something.

Oh and for the note, my motherboard supports ATI Crossfire, so does that mean it runs better with ATI's then Nvidia's??

Garbled OS is a very technical term meaning that certain files on your hard drive have gone all wonky woo. LOL

If you are overclocking odds are that your PC is unstable to some degree (it does not take much). If one time a 1 got written into a file instead of a 0 it might not cause crashing or whatever, but could still cause issues. This is what I mean by garbled.

Running driver cleaner makes sure that the problem does not lie with the drivers. The 8800s I had (320, 640SSC and GTX) could not handle what every other card I have had could do. I never had to run it before having 8800s though. and I ran a 7900 and a x1300 in the same pc in seperate PCIE slots and I would pull one to use in a test computer occasionally, Put it back in no problems. even updating drivers ws okay. Lots of people have problems with this though and that is why driver cleaner is so highly recommended (or drier sweeper for Vista)

Mainly being removed from a machine and put back in without having to reinstall drivers, or updating drivers without needing to run driver cleaner first. I upgraded to GTX and just installed the latest driver. My performance was actually worse than the 640SSC. I was told here to do the driver cleaner thing. I did and performance was perfect. And that GTX could really pump out the FPS when it was not BSODing.

It is very simple and quick to try running driver cleaner rather than continuing to have the problem.

Last edited:
Thanks for the advice NeurOmancer, I will take that into consideration and see if i still get the problems, If i do im gonna buy me the 9600 gt with at least 512 , i think it might also have something to do with my 320mb on all high resolution.

What I ment was did you OC the card...I guess you didn't. I doubt that drivers or any software is related (could be wrong, but doubt it). (not to insult) but have you made sure the connection of the DVI is seated well into the female prt of the card? or moniter?....if it's just a tad loose it can cause colour distortions. What type of display are you useing...is it old?

I would hate to say the card had a shorter life than expected....but it sounds very possible, since those cards on the most part weren't very well built (i'm speaking from expereince). The 8800gt/gts 512's were better built because they learned what not to do from the 8800GTS 640/320's core, ramchips, cooling etc.

If you can come up with just a 120 bucks give or take, you could replace it with a 8800gt or 9600 which will walk all over that current gpu, or if you want, goto ATI. Your choice.

Actually i havent overclocked it but im concerned about the 320mb and my games put on all high resolution, In a way i hope its the video card causing random glitches cuz im ready to ditch this card soon for a 9600 gt or 8800 gt 512mb and hope its not a problem with any of my other hardware.

Just for the note: Last night playing The Sims 2, I got the glitch where randomly out of no where i see a Brown Pole shaped object sticking through my Characters body, (lol, looked retarded) and another time the grass on the lot would turn fuzzy and move like a waterfall.

I get the same glitch problem in all the games (So its not the game itself) but some games produce it more then others.

Back