• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

P5Q Deluxe BIOS

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Choppah4

Registered
Alright, I've tried all the current BIOS versions available on ASUS website, and even some modded BIOS versions, but for some odd reason with my setup have found 0610 to be the absolute most stable BIOS period. It is the ONLY BIOS that I've been able to POST with an FSB over 500MHz. My voltage settings, RAM timings, everything is consistent when I use any of the later BIOS versions, but they are not stable, or will seem to be, but have some eventual random BSOD at idle or during some random task/program. I've gone so far as to flash back to the BIOS that came with the board, then flash one by one, loading defaults before and after flashing, etc etc, but still no luck. My temps are actually LOWER with 0610 (according to RealTemp 2.7, CoreTemp 0.99.3, HW Monitor 1.11.0 Driver version 129) with the specs in my signature than any of the later BIOS versions, and Prime runs without error infinitely, as well as no issues running Intel Burn Test. Granted BIOS updates are to fix serious issues, but it is just odd that with the same settings this is the only BIOS that will work for my setup. Any thoughts or suggestions? Sorry for the long post, just figure I might be missing something :bang head

Some bios just work better than others and it can be hardware dependent. If your board works well with one, stick with it.

Welcome to the P5Q Deluxe club, friend. Many people have had a similar experience... just all kinds of odd and inconsistent behavior. It seems to be particularly bad with the Q9XXX cpus, as you and I have. I've yet to see a definitive answer as to what the problem is.

500 FSB stable on a quad is not exactly a realistic expectation though.

Welcome to the P5Q Deluxe club, friend. Many people have had a similar experience... just all kinds of odd and inconsistent behavior. It seems to be particularly bad with the Q9XXX cpus, as you and I have. I've yet to see a definitive answer as to what the problem is.

500 FSB stable on a quad is not exactly a realistic expectation though.

Thx for the welcome. No one else did :rolleyes: :p Anyways, now 0610 won't play nice, so I'm on 0803 with the specs in my sig, and so far so good. Ran the Intel Burn Test without problem, Orthos no errors, so all "appears" good. Tried some modded BIOS' again first but decided to work with 0803 for right now. What I'm looking for is to get 3.8GHz stable. Anything more than that will require too much voltage for 24/7 usage, but 3.8 seems to be fine around or just below the 1.35V range, which is nice and tasty for air cooling. My temps have dropped since I took the side of my case off (oddly enough) despite having two 120mm 110CFM fans drawing air out of the system. Luckily there is still the one in the front, two on top, and one at the rear :) And so the quest for stability continues :beer:

And no, I don't expect a 500MHz FSB out of a Quad on air cooling. Just wanted to see it boot... and beep... maybe spark a little :clap:

You need an equal amount of fans blowing out as you do blowing in. You must also take your PSU in to account, calculate the IN/OUT CFM and try to keep it 1:1 as much as possible. Hey presto. A nice cool rig.

You need an equal amount of fans blowing out as you do blowing in. You must also take your PSU in to account, calculate the IN/OUT CFM and try to keep it 1:1 as much as possible. Hey presto. A nice cool rig.

Sorry but I must differ. You would like a positive pressure in the case, i.e. a little more in flow than out. Reason being that it helps minimize the amount of dust etc. that'll enter the case through various leakage paths. :beer:

Choppah4, what kind of temps are you seeing at load time (via Core temp or real temp) ?

Just curious since I have a similar setup.

Running Q9550 @ 3.6GHz I get as high as ~63C

I found the 702(703?) bios was best for my q9300. Still had trouble with it at 500FSB, was not prime blend stable but it let me run some benches :)

Do any of yall with the p5q deluxe have this issue I am having. When I shut my computer off for an extended period of time and than turn it on it never boots the first time. The fans spin up and the screen remains black. Then I have to hold down the power button let it shut off, and start it back up, which then it posts fine.

Simple issue, yet annoying. Using Bios 1306.

Do any of yall with the p5q deluxe have this issue I am having. When I shut my computer off for an extended period of time and than turn it on it never boots the first time. The fans spin up and the screen remains black. Then I have to hold down the power button let it shut off, and start it back up, which then it posts fine.

That's actually what happened when 0610 stopped working for me. 0803 doesn't seem to have the problem. With all my settings on Auto I never had the problem, it wasn't until I started manually setting them, and it may have just been one of my voltages was set too low, like FSB/VTT, PLL, or NB.

@ visine, my load temps with Orthos small FFT get around where you're getting. Core 1 is like 63 - 65C, Core 1 is 61 - 63C, and the last two are around 64 - 66C. Now when running the Intel Burn Test all cores go over 70C with Maximum stress. First time I ran it I was like :eek: but once the temps stabilized around 73C I wasn't too concerned. I have yet to see any other stability program increase my core temps that high. I'm still itching for 3.8GHz though, so...

Oh, and for best airflow replace the side of your case with A "Cooler" Side :cool:

Edit: So I THOUGHT I had 3.825GHz stable, but it wanted more. Actually, Core 2 was the only Core having trouble with Prime 95. 1.36V is the key VCore, left PLL on Auto, able to drop the FSB and NB, along with a pretty decent overclock on my RAM for a 4:5 Ratio. Now, to reinstall Vista Ultimate 64-bit. Hurray! :p

Last edited:
That's actually what happened when 0610 stopped working for me. 0803 doesn't seem to have the problem. With all my settings on Auto I never had the problem, it wasn't until I started manually setting them, and it may have just been one of my voltages was set too low, like FSB/VTT, PLL, or NB.

@ visine, my load temps with Orthos small FFT get around where you're getting. Core 1 is like 63 - 65C, Core 1 is 61 - 63C, and the last two are around 64 - 66C. Now when running the Intel Burn Test all cores go over 70C with Maximum stress. First time I ran it I was like :eek: but once the temps stabilized around 73C I wasn't too concerned. I have yet to see any other stability program increase my core temps that high. I'm still itching for 3.8GHz though, so...

Oh, and for best airflow replace the side of your case with A "Cooler" Side :cool:

Edit: So I THOUGHT I had 3.825GHz stable, but it wanted more. Actually, Core 2 was the only Core having trouble with Prime 95. 1.36V is the key VCore, left PLL on Auto, able to drop the FSB and NB, along with a pretty decent overclock on my RAM for a 4:5 Ratio. Now, to reinstall Vista Ultimate 64-bit. Hurray! :p

I wouldn't leave any voltages on Auto. Maybe try 1.56 for pll. With most bios the board overvolts to the extreme with anything on auto :(

Larry

I wouldn't leave any voltages on Auto. Maybe try 1.56 for pll. With most bios the board overvolts to the extreme with anything on auto :(

Larry

I've tried everything so far. Prime is failing after a various amount of time, I've had my CPU voltage as high as 1.37 and still failing on at least one core, usually core 2. I was considering disabling it :rolleyes: but I really think with such a high VID that being able to hit a little over 3.6GHz at 1.28V is pretty good. I've set all my voltages except for GTLREF. Able to get a nice overclock out of my memory with a little voltage bump (Stock 2.050V) so I believe I'm gonna set it and forget it. My next CPU will be OEM for sure. Let me have some tasty 1.1V VID :drool: and I will put this P5Q Deluxe to the test :santa:

Well.. Seems there is a version 1406 out and about. Earlier today it was on the asus site for the p5q-e, and the history of it says it fixes the issue with Prime95 and Yorkfield cpu's! Sounds to me like some of the bios themselves are messed up.

Larry

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=200109&page=19 Post #748 is what you are looking for.

Ug, thx for the post :thup: I'm overclocked out for the day right now. Just enjoying stability :beer: I'll let you know if it helps. Thx again.

:welcome:
dont leave those gtl refs on auto you can significantly help your ocs by adjusting these. i only had to bump core 0 gtlref one setting and i was able to get 4ghz stable on my q9400. good luck and keep us posted

:welcome:
dont leave those gtl refs on auto you can significantly help your ocs by adjusting these. i only had to bump core 0 gtlref one setting and i was able to get 4ghz stable on my q9400. good luck and keep us posted

I'd love to bump up just one core, but the way they designed the P5Q BIOS it only has GTLREF for 2 Cores at a time (0/1) and (2/3). I have played with them too and it still won't Prime stable at 3.8 :bang head Kinda leaving things where they are for the moment, but plan on flashing to the 1406 BIOS at some point and see if it helps. I shouldn't :drool: so much over other peoples overclocks and just be satisfied, shouldn't I? :beer:

i was thinking about flashing the 1406 BIOS but its still a beta. I cant get mine stable at 3.8 either, though im only dual-core. I think i got a not-so-great OC'er ... Bottom line is, the OC was free anyway, so be grateful and try not to go too far and break it! You'll be drooling like mad over other's PC's then! cos you wont have one!

I am using BIOS 704 with an E8500 and I have the same problems. When an overclock fails, the board will not reboot (fans and lights work, but no POST), I have to turn off power for 10 sec at the PSU then turn it back on and hit the power on switch. I then get the "overclock failed - Hit F1 to enter setup" prompt, F10 to save and reboot and it works normally.
I am running at 4 GHz (422x9.5) in Vista 32 bit. But I expected more out of this setup on water cooling. Is it Vista (I have heard XP allows higher OCs) or is it the BIOS?

I get that problem with having to take power cord out as well and i use the 1306 BIOS. I think its standard procedure. It doesnt matter which OS you use, if its a stabe overclock you should be able to use whatever OS you like.

Back