• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Will this do the trick ?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Tumnus

Hi guys.

Looking to make some upgrades.

Playing at 1920 x 1080...

Some of the more intensive games I'm looking to play are Bioshock, CoD4, Assassin's Creed, The Witcher, etc.

I am currently running a 3200+ Venice on a DFI, x800xl, 1gb.

Looking into getting -

a 2.3ghz Brisbane and O/Cing it as much as possible on air
a Biostar board that I can use when I get a phenom chip sometime in the future
2gb of some decent RAM to help with the O/C
and a decent video card from the classys, hopefully, an 8800GT or so.

I just want to know if this setup would serve my needs, or if I need to go higher.

Also looking for the cheapest possible way to do this.

Thanks.

weeelll..... intel clock WAY better than AMD unless you get a decent opty and a good stepping... You might find one in the classifieds or maybe just post a wanted thread.

If your dead set on AMD then dont expect a decent overclock otherwise.

2GB is ok for games now, but probably not in the next 3-6 months IMO.

Why not set yourself a budget - we will ba able to help you much more and be a LOT more specific... Also do you already have some memory you can use, etc.... ?

Well, I'm hesitant about budgets. Cheaper is always better.

I wanted to go with AMD because you can get a dual-core brisbane for like 40 bucks. I know the current batch of intel chips blows away the current batch of AMD chips, but I'm cheap.

And I'm not going to be able to get Vista64 for a while; my University only has 32-bit vista, and its like 15 bucks, so I'm just going to go with that. Once I get 64-bit vista I'll just buy a 4gb kit. For now though, I'd rather put the extra money into higher quality RAM.

If a budget is absolutely necessary, I'd say around 400 for processor + mobo + video card + RAM. High quality 8800 series cards are going dirt cheap right now, and I don't need a smoking processor, just something that has a good chance of a good OC on Air.

Edit :

But, like I said, if this won't get the job done at 1920x1080, please let me know. I have no problem spending a bit more if its necessary.

Last edited:
Back