• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

P5Q killing memory?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Robb4248

Well, recently I had a gig stick of OCZ Gold (Only DDR2-667, not that big of a deal, plus only a gig stick) die on me. I figured no biggie I must not have grounded myself. I grabbed 2 gigs of Crucial Ballistix DDR2-800 from a friend and plugged them into my board. I leave my house for an hour, come back, and notice a nice blank screen (although the indicator light does see a signal...). I reboot, nothing. I reset the CMOS and try again. Boom, that works. Windows goes to boot and I am greeted with a split second of blue screen... awesome! I set the RAM frequency manually, set the timing manually, and attempted to boot. Blue Screen. I reinstalled the OS. Blue screen. I ran in single channel mode. Blue screen. It seems the PC will only boot with one stick of RAM in it, weird eh? :bang head: Now, RAM just doesn't die... I've only had to replace bad RAM 6 or 7 times in the workplace. I have a feeling that the board is done, but it's not even three months old. Hopefully someone has another idea, but might as well throw thoughts together!

- Robb

Mobo: Asus P5Q
RAM: DDR2-800 Crucial Ballistix (2x 1GB Sticks)

tl;dr: Windows BSODs before after reinstall. RAM was run in Dual and Single Channel, Freq and Timing manually set and auto set, still BSODs. Will only boot with one stick. Pretty sure mobo is shot, but not even three months old.

What is your full system specs?

Board: Asus P5Q
Processor: E6550 (I know, due for an upgrade... waiting on the Intel Edge to kick in).
RAM: 2GB (1 in use) Crucial Ballistix DDR2-800
Video Card: 8800GTS
580watt PSU

That board could be defective. I would'nt install any new ram in it. I would RMA the board.

That was the first thought that came to mind, however I purchased the board on 07/14/2008. It's a bit past the 30 day return at Newegg. I looked at Asus' support site and they refer me to the reseller :confused:.

Back