• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Constant Disconnection Problems

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

micamica1217

Hi, I am having problems with my wireless connection.

I am constantly losing my connection every 30seconds. I usually once disconnected open the wireless networks pane refresh it and have to reconnect. Most of the time it reconnects no problem sometimes it takes acouple refreshes and sometimes it just isnt happening...

I am using my my Toshiba x205-sli3, My router is $120 Dlink router that is very new... My laptop is equipped with the stock wireless card.

Nothing has changed over the months, although this problem started maybe 2-3months ago. Originally I thought it was a bug in Vista that would be fixed over time via windows updates. But 3 months later the problem still exists and I am very frustrated. I am wondering if anyone knows of any windows updates that interferes with wireless connections.

If anyone has any ideas questions or anything feel free to ask. I am just frustrated and lost and dont know what to do. Thank you in advance very much.

:bang head

The exact Dlink router would be a good first step.

Do you use encryption? Have you tried disabling the encryption and then seeing if it works any better? Have you tried plugging your PC directly into your modem with wired to make sure it's not your actual internet connection? Do you have other PCs on the network that do/do not have problems? Can you borrow a friends PC to see if they can stay connected to narrow it down to your PC/NIC?

Another thing you might want to look at is when you access the wireless network such as right clicking on the icon on the run bar of your computer. View the "Available wireless networks", then click the "Change the order of preferred networks" Check to see if yours is Automatic instead of "Manual"

I hope this helps you and good luck.

i recently set up a wireless network at home as a temporary thing...
always disconnecting even though the router and pc were almost in the same room!
my laptoop was fine though even when it was upstairs.
i blamed the wireless nic card. it was a cheap belkin one. i RMA'd it, and stuck with powerline networking instead.

edit: and before anyone says, yes, i did change frequencies, updated the drivers, repositioned the router and pc, turned off a lot of electrical things... sometimes it was fine usually not.. may have even been next doors microwave! but doubt it since it lasted for hours

Another thing you might want to look at is when you access the wireless network such as right clicking on the icon on the run bar of your computer. View the "Available wireless networks", then click the "Change the order of preferred networks" Check to see if yours is Automatic instead of "Manual"

I hope this helps you and good luck.

Yeah sometimes the wrong network gets set as automatic and it tries to connect to your neighbor's who is just barely in range instead of your network and causes a lot of random disconnects.

Ok here is some of the requested info:
My Router: Dlink Xtreme N GIGABIT Router (Model # DIR-655 )
No encryption is used what-so-ever
I have another pc (desktop connected via wire) in this network which does occasionally disconnect but nothing in comparison to mine... for the most part that computer is fine....
I removed some other networks(that arent mine and def wont help me) from that list of prioritized networks. I hope it helps but it doesnt seem like it will...

If for some reason I stop gettin disconnected ill post to let you guys know.

Once again thank you everyone in advance

Update your wireless card drivers and the D-Link routers firmware if you haven't already.

Ok here is some of the requested info:
My Router: Dlink Xtreme N GIGABIT Router (Model # DIR-655 )
No encryption is used what-so-ever
I have another pc (desktop connected via wire) in this network which does occasionally disconnect but nothing in comparison to mine... for the most part that computer is fine....
I removed some other networks(that arent mine and def wont help me) from that list of prioritized networks. I hope it helps but it doesnt seem like it will...

If for some reason I stop gettin disconnected ill post to let you guys know.

Once again thank you everyone in advance

Does the wired PC have wireless you can try? If not, it could just be the dodginess of N right now since it's not finalized. I haven't heard many good reviews of any of the N stuff.

Back