• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

looking into doing some upgrades give me some advice

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

baggedmazda

So my rig now is a socket 939 i need a upgrade i will be saving some stuff. AKA
520hx
cm690
my hard drives

I will be needing a new
mobo
cpu(need to fit the Cooler Master GeminII)dont think it will be a problem
ram
think thats it

I am wanting intel so i can oc and get more fps i am bottlenecked pretty bad right now stuck at 60fps in cod4 at 1680x1050.

give me some links
small budget wanting to spend around 250 ish?

E7200/Gigabyte EP43/G.Skill PC8500

$250 right on the nose. You could go with slower memory without any real detriment but the cost difference is only ~$10, so why not. If you a 64bit OS and can live with a rebate you could go with 4GB's.

To see a bit differene in FPS you need to look into a new GPU. Your card is likely going to be your bottleneck. A used 8800GT for ~$100 would be a worthwhile upgrade.

If your gonna upgrade the card this is one of the hottest deal going. The card is like 60 bucks after the mail in rebate.http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130362. Also the E7200 isnt bad but the E8200 goes for a little more money with a higher FSB so you will get a boost in performace and plus its a 45nm cpu (45nm cpus are known to run a bit cooler), and use a bit less voltage so it can be easier to overclock in some cases. Heres the link http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115038.

i will be keeping my card for a while i just bought the card. 250 when it was new it does just fine for me

i will be keeping my card for a while i just bought the card. 250 when it was new it does just fine for me

Well if your upgrading for games and you dont upgrade your card, theres no point in upgrading anything, cause your not gonna see a difference.

Wait im sorry, what resolution are you playing at and what size megabyte is your videocard. (you may not need to upgrade the card)

Quote:
Originally Posted by baggedmazda View Post
Well if your upgrading for games and you dont upgrade your card, theres no point in upgrading anything, cause your not gonna see a difference.

Since he is coming from a 939 rig I wouldn't go that far as his overall system performance will be vastly improved, but his FPS is only going so far with the GPU.

To throw out another idea... Since you like youre 3870, why don't you just get a mobo with two or more pci-e slots and get another 3870 since they are so cheap now :) If you can hold out for a few months, you could wait and see how AMD's Denebs perform before making an upgrade. If nothing else, Deneb should drive down Intel's prices even more and you could get nice quad core.

its alwayswait for the next hot thing i just wana move onto a newer platform and ddr2. my system is so outdated now the way it is

If your gonna upgrade the card this is one of the hottest deal going. The card is like 60 bucks after the mail in rebate.http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130362. Also the E7200 isnt bad but the E8200 goes for a little more money with a higher FSB so you will get a boost in performace and plus its a 45nm cpu (45nm cpus are known to run a bit cooler), and use a bit less voltage so it can be easier to overclock in some cases. Heres the link http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115038.

The E7200 is 45nm and the multiplier of the 8200 kills it in OCing.

its alwayswait for the next hot thing i just wana move onto a newer platform and ddr2. my system is so outdated now the way it is

I'm not saying wait for the next thing so you can buy the next thing. I'm saying wait for the next thing because the next thing will cause price drops on the current stuff that you want to buy.

any cheaper mobos i am wanting to spend less than 250. what chip set should i be looking into p43?

Yes P43 is going to be your best option. It is essentially the same thing as P45, except no crossfire and a couple other very minor differences. Either the Gigabyte I linked above or the Asus P5QL should work well for you.

Back