• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Extremely high laptop temps?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Zagi

Hey guys, these numbers seem WAY high to yall?
laptoptemps.jpg

LET ME SAY... this was while playing doom.. not really the most stressful program out there.. Should I be worried about this? Is it worth investing in a cooler? If so, which one do yall suggest for a dell d620.

Stock cooling on laptops is horrible at best. I see around the same temperatures with my the CoreDuo (Yonah 2.0GHz) when loaded up.

Make sure the cooling system is free of dust and there is enough room for it to breathe. If it still hits temperatures where it throttles, you have options to consider. If it is still under warranty, talk to the company. If it isn't, you could always open it to change the thermal paste, I know the stuff on mine was absolutely horrid (clay like, really thick).

on my thinkpad T30 I replaced the TIM with AC5 and with in a week (since the stuff needs to "cure") I had about a 15° drop in temp across the board. Also my max temps now rarely go above 65° C. (it has a P4m 2ghz CPU)

I have been told by a number of reliable sources that CPU's designed for mobile applications are made to handle higher operating temp's than the equivalent desktop CPU (hence on of the reasons for the normally higher cost...). Then again my info could be totally wrong,and I have been fed a pile of poo.

Intel's mobile Core architecture processors are specc'ed for 100 C, so you aren't in danger there. But, like thiddy said, make sure your laptop's cooling solution is cleaned. I know that in a year of operation with my Dell, I had some unbelievable dust bunnies that had collected in both heatpipes and needed cleaning out. Dpending on what model laptop you have, you might have easy access to the heatpipes (or not, depends on the design). It wasn't that hard to get to both heatpipes on my E1705 to clean them out.

i would seriously consider buying a laptop cooler for about 20-40 bucks
i bought an antec cooler, and undervolted the cpu, as5, and temps dropped about 30C

Back