• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help with Q6600 oc temp too high

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

camcafe

Registered
Hello,

I just upgraded my system to the current spec below, but having problem with load temp too high during Prime95 stress test & CoreTemp monitoring.
Idle temp was about 50C, but the load is close to 80C. I don't know why or which hardware is causing the problem.

I did notice the hot air from the case came from the graphic card area. I have CPU heatshrink/fan, graphic card has a small fan plus I added another 120mm fan attached to the back of the case. Any help is appreciated.
Memory: OCZ 4gb PC-6400 Reaper (5,5,5,18)
Graphics Card: EVGA GeForce 9600GSO (oc 720, 1750)
Hard Drive: WD 300 Gbytes
Power Supply: Raidmax 730Wss
Case: mid tower
CPU cooling: COOLER MASTER GeminII 120mm

What heatsink/fan are you using on your CPU? If you're OCing a Q6600 on stock cooling then no wonder you're getting such high temps. Also, what are your room temps on average?

PS. For the love of your PC, get a better PSU.

Last edited:
try remounting the heat sink and make sure there is nothing in between the cpu and heatsink except some thermal paste

try remounting the heat sink and make sure there is nothing in between the cpu and heatsink except some thermal paste

I 2nd that sounds like a very bad job of mounting the HSF. Even stock should not go that high. What is your vcore and VID.
Also get a better PSU.

I agree with the re-seating of the heatsink, but again what cpu cooler are you using? If it is stock then it would be a good time to upgrade to a better cooler. I have used the Vendetta 2 and then went to the Tuniq Tower. Drop my temps even more---both are amazing, but the Tuniq just does a great job of cooling.
Whether I am at 3.2,3.4, or 3.6 the temps are fine...3.6 sometimes can push the limits, but I don't run it at that 24/7. Try re-seating and take your time and make sure both the cpu and heat sink are completely clear of anything that could interrupt the thermal connection between both.
Something that I would also suggest is a better case with more substantial fans that can bring in the cool air and remove the heat from inside. I just ungraded to the new Cooler Master 932 HAF and this thing is awe-some. I had to choose between this an dthe Antec 1200 and after reading reviews and seeing both the 932 easily won out. It has dropped my ambient temps 10-15 degrees. My cpu idles between 28-32 and under prime95 rises between 58-62. That's for 4 hours of prime. It is also a mammoth of a case. I have 4 and 1/2 inches between the end of my 8800 gt and the HD cage. I would encourage you to read some reviews on this case and see for yourself.
movieman39

He is using the COOLER MASTER GeminII 120mm. Not the best HSF but should be doing a better job than it is.
1 other thing may sound obvious and I am sure you did but did you remove the piece of protective plastic from the bottom of the Cooler prior to installing.

Back