• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need to secure a laptop wifi connection

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Audioaficionado

Sparkomatic Moderator
Sorry I didn't have the time to do a though search on the subject.

I need to secure a friend's laptop while she is accessing wifi at school or at her own home.

I'm not looking at keeping the CIA out but I'd like to lock out the casual roaming war driver or any nosy neighbors.

I need this to be transparent to her and low maintainence for me as she is decidedly not tech savvy when it comes to this stuff. I'm not much of a networking expert either LOL.

In other words, 'set it and forget it' if possible.

Thanx

At school you won't have any ability to do anything.

At home, just configure WPA personal.

All the security is configured on the APs.

At school you won't have any ability to do anything.

At home, just configure WPA personal.

All the security is configured on the APs.

If you want a little more protection than WPA/WPA2 (don't use WEP if you can avoid it) you can also use mac filtering and turn off broadcasting the SSID. Neither are great by them selves but the more protection the better I say.

If you want a little more protection than WPA/WPA2 (don't use WEP if you can avoid it) you can also use mac filtering and turn off broadcasting the SSID. Neither are great by them selves but the more protection the better I say.

Any sniffer can grab the SSID, and mac filtering doesn't stop anything other than people hopping on your internet. Generally, its just needless extra configuration.

Any sniffer can grab the SSID, and mac filtering doesn't stop anything other than people hopping on your internet. Generally, its just needless extra configuration.

I don't know what kind of nosy neighbors you have, but I can promise no one in my neighbor hood has a sniffer.

Back