• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

To much TIM? pic inside

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Bottomsup

Q6600 so I did the sideways method. It seems a little fat. Temps are no different from my last install that used my usual method of spreading all over think with a razor blade.

img2718gf0.jpg
[/URL]

WAY too much paste. Use less than 1/4 of that.

You want an extremely thin like like that one, just less substance.

EDIT: You also seem to have paste on top of the northbridge heatsink??? :confused:

Yeah, way too much stuff there. A dot in the middle about half the size of a frozen pea is plenty, so if you spread a dot that size out in a line, that's how much you need.

WAY too much paste. Use less than 1/4 of that.

You want an extremely thin like like that one, just less substance.

EDIT: You also seem to have paste on top of the northbridge heatsink??? :confused:

LOL I knew someone would say something about my NB sink. That's not paste...its actually JB Weld. I was out of superglue so I JB welded a fan to my NB sink. Ghetto, but effective. Problem is that stuff doesn't come off.

LOL I knew someone would say something about my NB sink. That's not paste...its actually JB Weld. I was out of superglue so I JB welded a fan to my NB sink. Ghetto, but effective. Problem is that stuff doesn't come off.
HAHA! :D

As long as it works :bday:

Heh yeah you seem to have gotten something onto your northbridge heatsink, done that myself a few times by accident ;)

Just remember, with paste, too much is worse than none at all sometimes.

Ok based on your comments I think you'll say the same for my previous install. This was the before and after. Temps were exactly the same. I mostly think its my Big Typhoon, but do you think its my crappy TIM application methods? I get ~65 load Prime 95 on my Q6600 at 3ghz with default voltage ~1.2125VID.

If I go through the hassle of pulling my board and re-seating with less paste how much improvement do you think I'll see?

Notice my clean NB sink in this pic. That's before I ran out of super glue! haha :beer::beer::beer::screwy:

img2634gl6.jpg
[/URL]

img2714db3.jpg
[/URL]

looks like too much still, its globbing up on the edges, globbing usually indicates too much. It's really just trial and error, keep reseating and reapplying until you see temps go down. It's a real pain in the butt, but it's worth it in the end.

Also make sure you completely clean off the old paste and apply new paste in between new seatings.

Yeah you don't really have to worry about spreading it. Like previously mentioned it is trial and error to a certain degree but I usually just put a decent sized dot in the center. The weight of the heatsink will spread it out in a circle to nearly the edges... but the paste doesn't need to cover the entire surface. Some people do however prefer to cover the entire thing in which case I would say use as little as possible without being able to see copper. All this stuff needs to do is fill in micro sized holes and provide a consistent contact surface.

btw, I like your most recent picture. It makes it looks as if the ram slot is bowed :p

btw, I like your most recent picture. It makes it looks as if the ram slot is bowed :p

Yeah that's wierd isn't it? Its not bowed though. I'm about 6 beers deep so I think I"ll pull it and reapply. Thanks for the replies...I'll report back.

I reinstalled with this and temps are no different when priming. Maybe a bit higher in fact although ambient is higher today.

Oh well I'm tried of messing with it. As long as its under 70C I think I'm good.

img27431dh0.jpg
[/URL]

What paste are you using? The pic in post 12 still looks like it's a bit too much.

Whats so funny? Everyone has to learn somehow and this has turned into an informative thread for future people who need help.

i use a "rice" sized amount and spread it w/ a razor blade, i still end up whipping extra off the blade.

it takes time too, it can take me up to 5 mins to get it good and thin but it's worth it BIGTIME. when im done, it's really really thin. ive also learned it helps to heat the paste before to apply. makes getting it as thin as possible, possible.

it's not a "couple swipe" job though, i have to work for it.

Back