• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

4870 1gb bios's

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

1Kurgan1

Doesn't seem to be much mention of flashing these or how stable the diff cards are with OC's and their fan profiles. So lets get some info going, I have heard the Powercolor is a decent bios, it does look nice but that heatsink with only 1 fan I cna't imagine cools the card the best.

I have a sapphire 4870 1GB model and the memory OC really sucks on it. The memory only goes up to 975 and anything after that is unstable. I hope I can get a difference bios.

It also BSOD's in windows when CCC loads if the stock fan is not plugged in.

cranking the memory up on these cards doesnt do anything anyway, I know i can do 1100 on my cards and probably more but i just run them at 1000.

Here is a review of the POWERCOLOR HD4870 with the Zerothem based cooler: http://www.overclockersclub.com/reviews/powercolor_4870pcs/ It says the cooler works pretty well with only a couple of degrees increase at OC of 860/1100.
I will post some numbers when my 1gb version arrives later this week.

Thanks for that link, guess the coolers better than I had expected. The 1GB card that interests me the most though is the Palit it looks to have a very nice cooling solution, but I wonder how stable it would be to OC.

rattle has 512 editions but he is right about the memory speed i saw more of a performance increase when oc'ing the core compared to the ram

I have a sapphire 4870 1GB model and the memory OC really sucks on it. The memory only goes up to 975 and anything after that is unstable. I hope I can get a difference bios.

I'm having the exact same problem with my Sapphire 4870 1GB. OC sucks, I once got artifacts even at stock speeds. To be able to use the card without stock fan I installed the 8.10 RC2 that's floating around in the forum.

YEA!!! It arrived! Won't be able to install and play with it until tonight. :cry: OTH, nobody has had any constructive input as to bios or Catalyst suite is working best with this card (PowerColor HD4870 PCS+ 1gb). I considering either the 8.9 and 8.10 beta CATs. Anyone?

*subcribed*
Have a PowerColor PCS 1GB on it's way. Should arrive tomorrow or the day after. I'll probably play around with RBE to fine-tune the bios.

My 50 cents is that the 8.10 is better than 8.9.

Problem: Tried to install the PowerColor HD4870 1gb card. After removing and cleaning the old drivers I installed the new card but I get the BSOD before Windows (XP SP3) completes it's installation during the desktop and I am unable to run the Catalyst install. I reset the cpu bios to default (no OC) with no results in the outside chance it adversely affected the PCI-e or overloaded the PSU. My PSU is a PC&P 610 Silencer so I think I have plenty of power available. Ideas?

Last edited:

All of the new sapphire cards have this 'feature' if you flash to an OLDER bios, it will most likely relieve the issue. Thats what I had to do with my 2 4850s.... :(

Are you using the card's stock fan?

Yes, it is Powercolor's stock PCS+ Zerotherm model. The card is as it came from the Egg. There are reports that some of the OC'd Powercolor card chips can't handle the factory OC. I am thinking that is my card's problem.

Yes, it is Powercolor's stock PCS+ Zerotherm model. The card is as it came from the Egg. There are reports that some of the OC'd Powercolor card chips can't handle the factory OC. I am thinking that is my card's problem.

It may be. I think RMA is order in your case. It's not the same problem I had:

When I installed my Sapphire 4870 1GB without stock fan (watercooled) using Cat 8.9 drivers it kept rebooting right after loading windows. As someone pointed out this happens because no stock fan was detected. I fixed it by upgrading the drivers to 8.10 RC2.

It has been RMA'd back to the Egg for replacement. I stuck my GFs Sapphire 4850 in my rig and it booted into XP just fine. The more I thought about it the more I was convinced it was a bad card. Sorry to have temporarily hijacked the thread. So back OT... still wondering how good the stock PowerColor bios is or if I will need to reflash it when I get a working card. I guess the consensous is the Cat 8.10 beta is the current bios of choice for the 1 gb cards.

Last edited:
Ok, I could use some help problem shooting this. New card... same problem; so it is a windows conflict with something loading with or during the desktop. I will try to start in safe mode and disable the start menu items and see how things load but anyone have a similiar problem with an ATI or4800 series card? The registry has been cleaned as have the old Forceware drivers prior to installation so i am at a loss as to why there is a conflict.

Had the same issue - BSOD or reboot when loading desktop. (XPSP3).
Ended up disabling all non-windows services and all startup programs before installing the driver. Never bothered to install the CCC.

This was only a issue on one of my HDD (have two in dual boot, same OS).
Go figure..

If it is of any comfort - this same thing happened when installing my late 2900 also:-/

Back