• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

eVGA 680i SLI A1 and Q9550

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jamesman32

I currently have an eVGA 680i SLI board and an E6850. I would like to step up to a Q9550. I've checked eVGA's website, but it's not clear whether or not the motherboard will support the processor. Does anyone know if it will? Do I need a bios update to be able to use the processor? I got the board last October (a year ago) and have yet to update the BIOS at all.

Yep, thats the one. It just confuses me because eVGA says that the "nForce 6 MCPs will support Q9xxx, but most current nForce 6 motherboards do not" And if you look at the specs from tigerdirect it says the northbridge on mine is an nForce 6 MCP. That's where I'm lost and figure I must need a bios update. If you look here at the chart http://www.evga.com/support/mbcpu/nForce_Intel_CPU_List.pdf it shows what I mean

QX9650 1333 3.00 Yes Yes No*** No No No
Q9550 1333 2.83 Yes Yes No*** No No No
Q9450 1333 2.66 Yes Yes No*** No No No
Yorkfield
Q9300 1333 2.50 Yes Yes No*** No No No

It says it right there it doesnt support it. Those "No's" are under Nforce6. Did you miss this? You can put anything in your board but a 45nm cpu. So no 45 nm QX9xxx or Q9xxx.

You need the p32 BIOS or higher for 45nm support, just so you know. Not sure which BIOS you are running, but if you haven't updated it yet, I would guess it is the P30 if you bought a year ago.

Last edited:
I worked for me. That's what I know. This assumes you are using a full on 680i SLI and not an LT. Also that you are running a 45nm dual. I said nothing about quads. I was more or less following up on the previous posts.

As mentioned above, the only 45nm chips you can put on there are dual-cores.

+1 .Yes i missed that. Only the DualCore 45 nm just no quads.

You had only mentioned that it would support a 45nm dual, but no one had mentioned that the OP would require an update to P32 or P33 BIOS. I figured I would pipe in.

I worked for me. That's what I know. This assumes you are using a full on 680i SLI and not an LT. Also that you are running a 45nm dual. I said nothing about quads. I was more or less following up on the previous posts.

You had only mentioned that it would support a 45nm dual, but no one had mentioned that the OP would require an update to P32 or P33 BIOS. I figured I would pipe in.

Cool, you have experience knowing it works. Just wanted to make sure hes all set. Then he can get any cpu he wants :beer: Just make sure you ubdate the bios.

Back