• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

usb port need replacing.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Do you mean you want to add in a USB expansion card?

That will ususally have a PCI or PCIe x4 slot connection - open up the case and you should see some white rectangles towards the rear of the case. They should have an indentation down the center. The card should stick into one of the slots. Look for one that looks to be the same size.
You will also have to remove a metal bracket - should just be a screw or two. Slide it out, and the card will fill in the missing slot.

i am an advanced user i know what a pci slot is. i need the ones you can saduer to the motherboard i need to replace the ones on my laptop.

I did some quick searches and I didn't come up with any solder on USB A ports.... my only thought is to buy a cheap hub and cannibalize it.

You really can't do this unless you have very intimate electrical knowledge of the specific laptop's motherboard. USB ports generally don't just 'go bad' (although it's possible)on themselves, it's usually the USB controller itself that needs replacing.

That, unfortunately, is essentially irreparable with the one exception of replacing the motherboard itself.

The only way to know for sure is if none of your ports function at all, either for data or power. Also, check device manager to see if your USB host controller is listed, if not, it's a good sign that you're out of luck.

If this is the case though don't lose hope! If you have an express card slot or a PCMCIA card slot there are lots of cheap USB host expansion cards you can get out there.

If you've physically broken the usb port you might be able to fix it. If its electrical on the motherboard $10 says you do more harm than good. Troll ebay and see if you can find a dead laptop the same as yours and maybe that would supply you all the parts you need if you're willing to invest the time and effort. Personally I would just buy a USB hub or a pcmcia usb card whichever suits your needs best.

If you've physically broken the usb port you might be able to fix it. If its electrical on the motherboard $10 says you do more harm than good. Troll ebay and see if you can find a dead laptop the same as yours and maybe that would supply you all the parts you need if you're willing to invest the time and effort. Personally I would just buy a USB hub or a pcmcia usb card whichever suits your needs best.

One quick thing before class starts up here... he won't be able to use a USB hub because it still relies on the internal controller. (similarly to the way you can't access the internet with a bunch of nested ethernet switches, you need a router (or something capable of assigning IP's at the top somewhere)

You're assuming all the ports are damaged...I did not and the OP didn't elaborate

This post was edited.

It's great to be funny sometimes, but there was no text with that post that aids in the thread, which makes it irrelevant and unnecessary.

g0dM@n
OCForums Moderator

Last edited by a moderator:
Back