• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Safest maximum Vcore for Q9550 ?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

lenix

What's up,

I'm overclocking my Q9550, already achieved 4.0Ghz at 1.37V ( unstable at 1.36 ).. so what would be my maximum limit on the vcore ? any ideas?

One more question, should I play with "FSB Strap to Northbridge" while overclocking the cpu ? ( because I'm only playing with 2 options, the frequency and the vcore )

Many thanks to anyone who would clear this up for me

:)

Intel's processor finder page states 1.3675 or something very close to that as a maximum voltage VID for those chips.

Since that's a VID value, that probably means you can run it higher (some do by a large amount), but I personally wouldn't want to do so.

what are your temps like loaded? IIRC these cpus can handle like ~70*c

if your under that, IMO you still have room to go :)

@4GHZ My temps was around 59-60C under full load ( taken by RealTemp during an intensive cpu test that almost lasted 10 minutes).. All under air, I'm using a Thermalright IFX-14

So I take it that it's not really safe to go above 1.37 ? Well, I'd like to hear feedback from people who actually own a Q9550 and did some experiments :)

Thanks for replies guys!

I'm running my Q9650 at 1.4v which is completely safe in my opinion. I've seen plenty of people running 45nm quads at over 1.5v for benching sessions and running up to 1.45v for 24/7 use. The only dead chip I've ever read about was murdered by too much vtt not vcore! The biggest question to ask is can you afford to replace it if it does die? You've got a great clock there at 4GHz so perhaps stop and be happy? It's hard I know... we're addicts!

What's up,

I'm overclocking my Q9550, already achieved 4.0Ghz at 1.37V ( unstable at 1.36 ).. so what would be my maximum limit on the vcore ? any ideas?

One more question, should I play with "FSB Strap to Northbridge" while overclocking the cpu ? ( because I'm only playing with 2 options, the frequency and the vcore )

Many thanks to anyone who would clear this up for me

:)

If you want to know about strap settings, they can be extremely beneficial and often go underutilized. Here is a fantastic Anandtech article about it. It is a little hard to digest, but if you can get through it and understand it you can really maximize your OC.

I have found that any voltage below 1.5 is fine, in fact above that it makes no difference to the OC. For 24/7 I keep my 45nm quads at 1.4 or less
The Q9650 I have now only needs 1.4 to do 4.4 GHz

My Q9550 hits 3.5 noo problem with the voltage set a 1.31 in the bios. But when stress testing it doesnt go over 1.28 and even lower in CPU-Z. I was a little confused by this. Im reading the voltage with Asus Probe II

My Q9550 hits 3.5 noo problem with the voltage set a 1.31 in the bios. But when stress testing it doesnt go over 1.28 and even lower in CPU-Z. I was a little confused by this. Im reading the voltage with Asus Probe II

You are referring to vdrop, it's completely normal. If you have the ability to enable Loadline Calibration on your Mobo, you can get rid of that.

Q9550 C1 stepping stable here @ 4Ghz with 1.3vcore
i didnt read all the post above me, but i think you need to play around more with the mobo volts. for my settings I bumped + 0.1 volts for FSB, NB, SB, and CPU PLL.

edit: i meant + 0.1 to 0.3volts

You are referring to vdrop, it's completely normal. If you have the ability to enable Loadline Calibration on your Mobo, you can get rid of that.

+1
I think most Asus mobos have this setting (Loadline Calibration)

Yes i heard all about loadline calibration, but reviews and posters always say there is nothing good from it?? And how can i benefit from getting rid of vdroop? MY voltage will shows as in the bios??

Yes i heard all about loadline calibration, but reviews and posters always say there is nothing good from it?? And how can i benefit from getting rid of vdroop? MY voltage will shows as in the bios??

I don't know, but I have loadline calibration enabled and my vcore is solid as a rock. Locked in @ 1.32v and it doesn't even flinch under load.

If the vdroop mod is done correctly, you should see minimal to just about zero vdroop in the bios. Be advised tho that there will be some voltage fluctuation as this is normal.

I don't know, but I have loadline calibration enabled and my vcore is solid as a rock. Locked in @ 1.32v and it doesn't even flinch under load.

If the vdroop mod is done correctly, you should see minimal to just about zero vdroop in the bios. Be advised tho that there will be some voltage fluctuation as this is normal.

Oh ok. But if Asus Probe says my voltage is at 1.28 is it really at 1.28? Cause in the bios its set higher.

compare it with CPU-Z. i think CPU-Z shows vcore accurately for 45nm chips. -someone correct me if im wrong pls

Back