• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Q on PeerGuardian?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

deathman20

High Speed Premium Senior
Guy at work mentioned this software, more or less its used for torrenting mainly (not asking any questions) and its to help block IP addresses. Well I was curious and installed it on my system. I was shocked how many hits I was getting from people through my firewalls. Of course this software blocked them but getting hits from, Time Warner Cable, some Telo Companies, and some other ones, which non I use or non is in the area. Also it has a built in HTTP Blocker. Kinda nice on some sites, annoying on others.

Was just curious if anyone uses this as a firewall per say since it seems to do that job well.

Oh BTW, if running Vista 64-bit you'll need to disable signed drivers to run it, or there is a program out there (its on there forums) that you can install, and it will modify the boot files to automatically launch disabled signed drivers. Its quiet nice in my book.

this isnt a firewall in a sense it wont block viruses but it is an awsome program to see who is connecting or trying to connect to your computer, been using it for years now.

this isnt a firewall in a sense it wont block viruses but it is an awsome program to see who is connecting or trying to connect to your computer, been using it for years now.

Ah ok, so its a backup somewhat to a firewall, at least blocks some incoming connections. Excellent thx

Is there a Vista version? Last time I checked it still wasnt supported on Vista.

edit: Nevermind, quick google shows me Vista is now supported :)

Is there a Vista version? Last time I checked it still wasnt supported on Vista.

edit: Nevermind, quick google shows me Vista is now supported :)

Yup its supported, 64-bit is trickier and needs to run either one of the following options..

1) Disable Signed drivers via F8 at bootup
2) Running a program that signs the drivers
3) Getting a program that automatically on bootup does #1 for you (ah its so nice) which they talk about in the forums.

I'm not sure how much effect it has, but at least PG seems to use minimal resources. I don't bother with the http blocking but the ad blocking is nice.

FWIW many private torrent trackers use the same blocklists that PG loads, so it must have some use in that regard.

I downloaded this yesterday you say light on memory 900kb is what its reporting in my Task Manager it's a great program didn't realise I was getting checked by all them sites.

Thou this forums seem to not load properly when Educational is enabled.

Back